D-STAR - Connect to repeater through a hotspot

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2KUB, May 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2KUB

KD2KUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I may get chastised for asking this stupid question, but after searching, I have not found the answer to my question.

So here it goes. Can a MMDVM connect to a repeater over D-STAR?

I have programmed my TH-D74 on RPT2 (hotspot) as KD2KUB G and selected RPT 1 as the repeater in question. Now from that, my D74 gives me a double beep in reply. To me that means error.

Would registration to a foreign D-Star Gateway have anything to do with it?

I would like to rule out a programming issue with my D74 but I can get on reflectors without issues.

Would like some help and further education. Feel free to email or call me at 315-four47-three085

Thank you in advanced!

2. KD2KUB

Let me rephrase my question for clarity: With my HT and through my MMDVM can i connect direct to a D-STAR Repeater?

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes you can. Please see this page for details: http://www.roblocher.com/whitepapers/dstar.html

4. KD2KUB

thank you, i will!

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Registration is only to get you in the 'database' for call sign routing to work. Makes no difference where you registered, just don't do it twice.

Its on my bucket list to try. I would put the repeater (local) call sign properly formatted in the Your Callsign column. I suspect it will be a two part process. Link with one memory channel and return to the talk channel to 'talk'. I'm not sure about unlinking.
    I'm using a Zumspot w/ pi-star an Icom ID-51.

Mike

P.S. I'll have to read the whitepaper to see if I got it close to correct. :)

ID51.JPG

6. KD2KUB

Thanks Mike, I had it configured like this before as well. I used the RT systems software to set the DR memories to conform more to the radio's own programming. I looked at the link W4NNF gave me, but it says that callsign linking is only done over D-Star Repeaters. So i assume that connecting to repeaters cannot be done via MMDVM?

"DV Dongles, DVAPs, and D-STAR Hotspots allow their users to link to repeaters or reflectors using DPlus linking, but not call sign routing. Call sign routing requires a D-STAR radio and a D-STAR repeater."

7. KE5MC

Issue I don't see before was linking to the repeater by callsign was the module B or C information. Reflectors don't care. Thunderstorm just outside the door! Going to shut 'puter and other electronics down for awhile. Later...

8. KI5ENL

KI5ENL Ham Member QRZ Page

I submitted a request to be added a couple of weeks ago. The webpage said that I would get an email back with confirmation (within hours). I never got that email. Is there a place where I can verify my registration?

9. KE5MC

Looks like they dropped the ball so far. Or I can't type your callsign correctly.

http://dstar.info/query.html

Try to make contact with who you registered with. You don't want to try a different location and end up with your callsign in the data base twice.
    Mike

10. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page