D-STAR Calling on HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Apr 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As I search the mighty Google for calling frequencies for D-STAR on HF, I'm not getting anywhere near a consistent answer. The "QSO finders" are always empty when I try them.

Are there any HF D-STAR operators here who have a practical recommendation for D-STAR calling frequencies for 20m and perhaps 40m?

KL7KN likes this.
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I thought Dstar was for 2m and 440 band repeaters. I use FM only on those bands, I did try fusion but did not like the robot voices....

I prefer FT8 or SSB on HF.

Best wishes. 73

3. KK5JY

Apparently not: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=d-star+hf

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have much agreement with respect to frequency.

There are HF D-STAR nets that seem to have their own frequencies, and there are several suggested calling frequencies. I was hoping someone could point me at the most-likely-to-succeed frequencies for just a random CQ on HF. ;)

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Matt - I'm scratching my head here.

I can see that D SATR is a proprietary, Japanese developed, Vocoder setup - seen mostly on V/Uhf.

How would D STAR be any different than Free DV or another digitized voiceband encoder?

Don't get me wrong, there is much to recommend digital voiceband encoding for LPI type communications, but since it requires a signal path slightly better than would support 'ordinary' SSB, why use it?

For the data aspect?
    Sending images in a 'digtial' format? (JPEG, etc)

In looking, I did see where several nets use the technology, but it seems to me that same technology would drive you to use a only on a net or a scheduled contact with another operator using the same Vocoder.

Back to why I'm scratching my head - how would this technology support random Qs? I ask because I'm on the fence over the purchase of a FreeDV appliance (the SM1000)

Thanks in advance

5. KK5JY

That's what I was hoping to evaluate. :) I have done FreeDV on HF, but not yet D-STAR. I was hoping to just park wherever the D-STAR people park and make some random contacts, but I haven't yet found the preferred places where they do that. Maybe they don't, and/or maybe I'll just have to check into a net?

6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

At least with the net contacts - you could set up a sched or get some hints for watering holes....

Good luck!

7. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

14.2360 is where I use Fusion, D-Star, AOR HF digital.

KL7KN and KK5JY like this.
  8. KK5JY

Excellent. Thanks!

KL7KN likes this.
  9. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

These are the centers of activity of D-Star on HF. Obviously if a freq is in use, you look a little up or down from these for an opening.

The website used to find HF QSO's on D-Star is the same one that's used during the Saturday and Sunday nets, http://hf.dstar-relay.net/
    During the weekend nets, REF030C is used for coordination.

KK5JY, W4RAV and KL7KN like this.
  10. KK5JY

I was able to spot a little bit of activity on the Saturday PM net, but I never did hear the NCS. Thanks for the info.