D-104 loading...

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W1BR, Jan 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

My voice has a lot of lows, and I am getting reports of good audio, but a few guys on 160 have suggested if I
    could cut the "mud" a bit I'd sound better. Mike is a D-104 with a Koby cartridge and the K7DYY processor
    board.

The simplest solution would appear to be as easy as adding some load resistor to element below the
    several megs that the board provides. I am not sure that is the best approach even though it seems
    the easiest.

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PETER,

I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH 160 VOICE OPERATIONS.

ARE YOU ON SSB OR AM, WHERE THERE ARE REPORTS OF MUD.?????

3. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

160 meter AM, on the Grayhair net... LOL. I am bald. Maybe that is the problem with the excess lows.

BTW, what is this SSB stuff?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.wirelessgirl.net/Projects/AMTransmitters/K7DYYaudioboard.html

Wireless Girl comments on the same problematic bassy response with these components, with no 'fix'. She says heavy equalization would be required to adjust the audio. This may be a matter of chasing your tail.

My scanning of her article suggests that replacing the K7DYY board with a basic preamp circuit would be a first step. Dozens of examples available on the web.

5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

dont know what koby is but with that and a processor it dont sound like its a d104 any longer but a d104 housing !!

K0OKS likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

7. KA0HCP

Clearly his problem would be fixed by placing the Kobitone element in a cardboard box. :) "What is a microphone?"

W9WQA likes this.
  8. W5JAY

W5JAY Ham Member QRZ Page

A D104 has a presence boost around 2.5 KHz at Plus 10 DB. So look up the frequency response on that element and adjust from there with an EQ. In fact looking up a stock the d104 frequency response with good loading will give you a good idea of what you need in the long run. What is the rig you are using? That board you are using puts out a -10 DB. So be very careful if you are trying to feed a stock microphone Jack. 73 de jay..

9. KA0HCP

He does not have a D104 element. He has a Kobitone element. The only thing that is a D104 is the case/stand/shell.

W9WQA likes this.
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page