Cycle 25 Shocker

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2AU, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent weeks doing the analysis and my conclusion is that there is a 50% chance that cycle 25 will be great and a 50% chance it will suck.

WN1MB, K4KYV, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  2. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent microseconds analyzing your analysis and I can say with certainty that you are between .ooooo1% and 100% correct. I've never been wrong. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken. :D

WN1MB, W0FS, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

On the internet nobody knows if you are a Cyberdyne Systems series T-1 Autonomous Ground Vehicle.

WZ7U and KL7KN like this.
  4. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Those of you who did not experience cycle 19 cannot begin to even imagine it. Ten meters open around the world 24/7. I would get home at midnight, take my folded dipole made from 300 ohm twin lead, and fed With twin lead, and throw it out the bedroom window and drape it across tree branches - sort of a drooping U with the ends about 3 feet off the ground. The feedline was connected to the SO239 on the Hallicrafters transmitter by jamming one wire into the center and a rubber band clamping the other wire to the barrel (hey, I never claimed to know what I was doing) the receiver was a Lafayette kit, all band radio ( no filters, didn’t even know what they were) and I could copy any signal anywhere on the ten meter band without touching the dial. With a screaming 30 watts of screen grid modulated AM - and maybe 3 watts reaching the air - I worked all over the world. I thought it would always be that way. Good times. We were young, poor, and happy.

F8WBD, W3ATV, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

But it looks like you missed most of Cycle 19 according to your QRZ bio which says licensed since 1962.
    Cycle 19 lasted from April 1954 to October 1964. According to the chart below, actual sunspot numbers never peaked much higher then 55 from roughly 1962 on. But, depending on when in the year you were operating, your fantastic 10 meter conditions could have been due to Sporadic E openings, which typically have nothing to do with sunspot numbers and cycles. Right now as I type, it's roughly 12:30 AM EDT, and 10 meters is quiet but 6 meters in open with a mid west opening and a big opening between Europe to Asia and the Far East all due to Sporadic E.

[​IMG]

6. WD8ED

WD8ED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Talk about sweating something you can't control! Few of us will be around for cycle 26, which if the predictions hold true will still suck. So make the best of it. Live your life.

Ed

WN1MB likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, she's an XE by now. ;)

8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is consistent with what my tea leaves are telling me.

WR2E likes this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Cycle 21 was great. I had a 2 element 10/15M Quad halfway up a Pacific Heights Road overlooking Honolulu. I was able to work Europe long path on 10M running QRP.

The solar conditions are only part of what it takes to work DX. You may want to consider improving your location and/or antennas if you were disappointed with Cycle 24.
    I find CW a great way to work DX--I have twenty more countries on CW than phone and fifty more than on digital.

Zak W1VT

10. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The coat hanger did work as well as the monobander, provided it was horizontally polarized...;)

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is a dream. Live today.

Don't forget the 15db gain the KH6 call sign afforded you...;)