ad: SDRKits-1

Cycle 25 Shocker

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2AU, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

They used lots of big words and big paragraphs. Made my head hurt!

WA9JOQ and W4PG like this.
  2. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

So, their prediction of sunspot numbers for Cycle 25 is dependent on their prediction of the Cycle 24 "terminator" occurring between 2020.29 and 2020.75-- i.e., by September. If the terminator doesn't occur by September we can start saying goodbye to a rerun of 1960's like propagation conditions in the next cycle.

But I'm not really clear on if we will know in real time when the Cycle 24 termination event has occurred or whether that is something that is to be determined in a future hindcast...

My takeaway-- don't bet the farm.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar weathermen...pffft.

WC5P and K4AGO like this.
  4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. Terminators? Cycles? Sunspots? I think this means when the sun comes up we will see hunter/killer robots riding into town on motorcycles. I think I saw this in a movie once.

Predictions are hard, especially about the future. I'll wait to see how things turn out.

K4AGO likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Just in case I checked the zed database - no one named Sarah Connor with a ham license.

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That one appears to have attended a few Grateful Dead concerts!

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now THAT has a basis in fact that you can sink your teeth into.

8. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. Let's see them get more accurate at predicting the past; then; maybe, just maybe we can put a little faith in their predictions of the future.

The number of June bugs in 1960 vs. the number this year leads me to predict that the peach crop may be the most plentiful in... in... in... the last three years.

I can't wait for an abundance of peach ice cream and peach cobbler. My spoon is ready!

WN1MB likes this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When they say “phenomenological model”, that’s physics-speak that means "guess".

W7TCT, KK5JY, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  10. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

A+