ad: w5yi

CW?!!!!!Whaaaaat?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W9QK, Jan 18, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

WB5YUZ and WA1GXC like this.
  2. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading through this got me to thinkin' to send an internet message to a retired RMC I served with in the 70's and then you popped up! The difference between what you two went through back then and today is there is now no life-or-death push to qualify. The Navy simply did not have the time to screw around with potential operators. You either qualified within the service school's time constraints or you did something else. Same with pilots. You solo in 10 hours of dual instruction or you became a Navigator or a gunner. This does NOT apply to civilian flight training! There is no rush!

There ARE those with a gift for CW and flight and will adapt very quickly while the rest of us may take forever to achieve and in many cases, EXCEED THE ABILITIES of even the gifted ones! I recall meeting several Navy Radiomen that had asca part of their kit a black leather box that contained an issue Vibroplex Bug key. These guys, usually E-5 or E-6, were the gifted ones who could copy the Fox scheds at beyond voice conversation speeds, smoke a cigarette, drink coffee and carry on an unrelated conversation, all simultaneously! These guys were much in demand in the 60's when manual encription was a required back-up.

I am working "LCWO" Learn CW Online right now trying to get proficient enough to send that CQ at 5 watts. Someone said a lot of us are chicken to send that CQ. That someone said just DO IT and I think he is right. I responded one day several years ago to a CQ that was pretty fast, guessing 20 wpm. He came back slowly at first but sped up quickly and lost me. I concluded he was working a CONTEST and just did not have the time! Well, no more of that. I'm gonna do this! I can't get any straight answers how to get fldigi and my radio to talk to each other so Imma gonna do QRP CW for all I'm worth!

KD2RDG likes this.
  3. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Konyeshno, Moi Drug. I do not operate in contests at all-- I have much respect for many excellent contesters from every country who
    are very fine operators. I myself do not enjoy it, so I leave it to others to have fun in that way. But here in the US, I hear many American
    operators in DX and American contests who operate at very excessive high speeds, and yes, their true abilities do not allow them to reliably
    receive at the speeds they are pretending to work.
    I listen much more than I engage in actual 2-way contacts, and it is very apparent to me when someone is "under water". Many US
    operators are now using computer-generated CW and using CW-decoders to help them out with their receiving. That is their choice and
    their right, but it does not change the basics.

4. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And it still IS the Most Competent
    way to Aquire Morse Abilities.
    Without the clutch of Dot counting.
    You will not become a very Proficient
    morse operator. You would be out
    of A school .

Maybe try Osmosis.

Paul K8PG

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't accept that. This is terrible. This is disrespect (
    Computer-generated CW CQ in the test is one thing, but using CW-decoders is another. They are only wasting my and their time.
    I participate in the tests for three reasons: it really improved my reception quickly. This makes it possible to make a QSO with DX, who will ignore me at another time. Well, in a short time outside the city when I'm portable, I can make more QSO. And rag chews are for home, where there is a bad antenna and a lot of noise and I can find strong local station for it...

KD2RDG likes this.
  6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just stay with it OM and be patient with yourself. You are absolutely right--Everyone learns in a different way and on a different curve.
    Some start off slowly and despite a longer journey to excellence, eventually beat the pants off their colleagues. Others start off fast and
    get quickly to--mediocrity. Radio. Aviation.

Occasionally on this CW discussion forum, some folks come along with a slight edge to their attitude and want to engage in an academic
    debate just short of a food-fight to prove they're smarter than others--and in the process forgetting that most of us are here, unlike the other
    QRZ.com areas, because we're pulling for our fellow hams to reach their personal goals. That's fine, that's human nature. The human
    brain and the process of learning any task or constellation of skills has not changed over 10,000 years. There are theories, presumptions,
    accurate and flawed observations, all colored by who we are and where we've been. I have made my living as a professional radiotelegraph
    operator and a professional airline pilot. I've worked with folks of high intellect in both professions who were not all that good at what they
    did. And with others of high technical proficiency who were as dumb as box of rocks.

If I or you or any other random person reading these posts really knew the best way to achieve excellence in CW, we'd have a Nobel or
    MacArthur Award to brag about. The best we can do is offer what has seemed to work the best, for the greatest number of individuals,
    over the past 150 years of landline and radio telegraphy.

One person's pedantics is another person's noise.

Good luck and above all do not be discouraged or too frustrated. The better it gets, the better it gets.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    N2AMM, K8PG, KI4ZUQ and 1 other person like this.
  7. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Count dots??? I just use this:

Morse diagram decoder.jpeg

WA1GXC likes this.
  8. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! Yeah, just memorize the diagram and you got it! :)

KI4ZUQ and WN1MB like this.
  9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Google "learning Morse Code" and you will be flooded with experts telling you hundreds of different ways to do it.
    My advice (been on CW since 1961) is start listening after you memorize the dahs and dits for letters and numerals.
    If you have a radio, listen to the frequencies where SKCC club members can usualy be found ;
    1813.3, 3550, 5332, 7055, 7114, 7120, 10120, 14050, 14114, 18080 kHz. this is where slower QSOs go on and you need to lean what they are saying.
    Good luck,
    Have fun/

10. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I always recommend ARRL’s
    daily morse transmissions-
    lots of varying copying conditions.
    slow speed 5 wpm ...to 35 wpm.
    FOC Operator copy.
    SKCC operators.
    All learn Differently .
    Good Luck -Do Not get discouraged.