CW transceiver question

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KA4NYW, Jun 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

For ARRL members only, lacks "listed-by-mode" "by-design" "by-ergonomics"
    The ARRL at their best to help our hobby shrinking.

3. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I operate mostly CW and was QRT for 10 years years or so until February 2018. When I determined to get back on the air, I found that the PTO on my old Ten-Tec Omni-C was frozen, so I used my old Kenwood TS-440S for about a year. I bought a used Kenwood TS-480SAT as a venture into digital signal processing. That experiment was satisfactory.

For a new home station rig, I chose a Kenwood TS-590SG. Before purchasing the 590, I checked with an on-air acquaintance who is a member of the CW Ops. He purchased a 590 as well, and I asked him how he liked it. He is pleased with his.

The 590 has two SO-239 antenna connector that are easily switched from the front panel. I use one for 6 meters and the other for HF. It has a receive-only antenna connector that it switched from the front panel. I've used it on 80m and 160m. It has a DRV out connnector that I can use for a band scope if I choose to do so.

I operated a friend's IC-7300. The band scope is really something; however the 7300 has but one antenna connector and no provision for a receive antenna. In addition, it has a solder-in battery that I wasn't thrilled with.

If Ten-Tec can make a go of it, I would like to have another of their rigs. I've worked a ton of CW QSOs with the 590, and I'm pleased with it. Over the years, I've had good luck with Kenwood rigs.

W5ESE likes this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with this. I love my FT-450D on CW. You can find them used, in good condition, for around $500. It's a lot of rig for that price. Using the filter and contour control (set to "peak") the 450 can hear stations that are lost in the noise on my IC-746. I also use mine for SSB and digital, and I'm quite happy with it.

KC9YGN likes this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-857. Small rugged HF and VHF/UHF. Still find them used.

6. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

CW? Ten Tec! If you want a good CW rig and don't want to spend a fortune, look for an Omni-C. If you don't care about the 30/17/12m bands, the Omni-A Series B (analog) Omni-D Series B (digital), Triton IV (analog), 540 (analog), or 544 (digital) are also good, inexpensive choices.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I must admit for CW ops it's hard to beat almost anything made by Ten Tec.

The older analog Ten Tec rigs all had a PTO as the main tuning oscillator and that was fairly notorious for eventually failing ("freezing up"). Easy to replace and pretty easy to repair, but I doubt Ten Tec has any of these anymore (they used to stock lots of them and literally give them away for ops who had problems -- many years ago), so I'd be careful with the older rigs; however once they went to all-digital stuff like the Jupiter, Orion, OMNI-VII etc. that problem went away as they don't use PTOs, they're DDS rigs with I.F. DSP just like all more modern rigs.

But they're still great CW rigs with features most CW ops enjoy. They're fine on SSB and digital modes also, but clearly were designed with CW operators in mind. Silent QSK and user-adjustable timing for keying an external amplifier if you ever use one; easy user-adjustable sidetone pitch/offset, sidetone volume, keyer speed, key selection, and anything else you'd want to play with are all built in and "obvious" without digging out user manuals.

WB5YUZ likes this.