cw the " old " forgotten mode

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA1BSZ, Jun 9, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

there is one thing you have got admit and I admit it also, just before FT8 came on the bands, in the spring of when was it about 6 years ago??? well in the winter, there was a lot of PSK,OLIVIA ACTIVITY and CW qso's all over the bands. Just as soon as FT8 came on the bands and people started finding out about FT8, slowly the bands started getting quieter and quieter, pretty soon, there was hardly any DIGITAL and CW activity. I'm in Vermont and shortly after FT8 , in the summer of 2016, all my friends that I used to chat with on PSK switched over to FT8 and now a few are coming back to PSK,CW,etc. and why? Because they say it's boring and just sending signal reports, no conversation. I think FT8 is great if you want to work all-states in less than a week and dxcc in 2 weeks, but I like the challenge of cw.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. It is all our responsibility to keep our history and traditions alive. You don't have to be good at it, just know enough to be able to make an exchange. Learning CW is one of the best decisions I made as a newbie. I still suck at it and may always suck at it, but, i love using the mode.

HA2ZB, WA4KCN, KJ5T and 2 others like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I did. Wasn't really serious, only 469 Qs in about 14 hours, all S&P.

But hey, had fun and got a few new ones.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W9JEF, WA9SVD, KJ5T and 3 others like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Reference?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2021
    KA1BSZ likes this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

About the same here, Jim. I need to convince myself to keep after it on Friday night. If I could've just done that, I think I could have broken into the top 10%. Instead? 2200 local found me dozing on the couch with the cats. :oops:

WU6P, KA4DPO, PU2OZT and 2 others like this.
  6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds serious to me. Nice job running S&P.
    You came very close to S&P 500 :p

N2EY likes this.
  7. W8NIC

W8NIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only been a ham for 14 years learned morse code 3 months after getting licensed. Never looked back!
    The way I see it and many will disagree, FT8 is a scapegoat. If you know how to talk, you're on SSB, if you know how to read and type, you're on FT8. Morse code? TOTALLY different beast. Is FT8 ham radio? I say NO, but that's just me.
    If you're up in the mountains with an HF rig, a key or mic, wire antenna and a battery and are able to make contact, THAT'S ham radio. Let's see you do FT8 with that.

8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

that's why I like cw and I've been ham since 1977 and started with cw and sure I used ft8 so much that after a while, it got so that no one was answering my cq's and so I decided that ft8 has to take a back seat,so here I am back on cw.

9. K2MMO

K2MMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CW is the only mode I use. I enjoy a ragchew with old and new friends.

N2OTG, W8NIC, KA1BSZ and 3 others like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, FT8 is a scapegoat for some; that's for sure. :D

KA4DPO and KA1BSZ like this.