cw the " old " forgotten mode

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA1BSZ, Jun 9, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

The first time, sure, i spent an hour on 40m the other day talking to a friend in Melbourne, it was much more utilitarian than magical. This is something I have done 100's of times and is routine. Now if that was a 5nn to RG58U in the Belden Congo, then sure, that would be exciting, even magical, but doing the same thing over and over is not magical to me at least. Which is why i do things that are new and unique, I chase dx and wwff, activate wwff and sota and do CW and home brew, the magic for me is in the doing and the learning, not the repetition of something I have done many times. Take away that focus and ham radio is just talking to people and I could have called Steve on then phone and achieved the same as we did on 40m.

The point of ham radio for me, is self education in radio, electronics and communications with the focus being on the first 2 of those 3. Most everything after that is ancillary.

AG5DB, K8BZ and KA4DPO like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

But in FT8, are YOU "communicating," or is it your computer?

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

By all means, feel free to express your thoughts on the topic. Agreement of others is not a prerequisite.

The great Richard Blandon and the Dubs had their version.

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it matter? I have done DXCC using FT8, I am 50 entities into DXCC CW. Modes are just a means to an ends for me. Though out of the 2, and you can throw SSB into this mix also, CW for me at least provides greater opportunity to advance MY art. I am a ham radio operator, I use all the modes and suitable power limits to make the contact. I am not a zealot for one mode over another I just use what is best at the time to get the job done.

KF5KWO and KA4DPO like this.
  5. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 was fun for a few weekends. Cool to see the signal going such long distances. I really need to drag the computer downstairs and try it again now that propagation is better.

CW rules though. Developing a skill, working on rhythm and timing. I can do CW every day and not get bored.

WU6P, DL4QB, F8WBD and 4 others like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its me whether I operate my keyer, computer or a PTT mic on a coiled cord.

W4LJ likes this.
  7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't want your magic.
    You don't want my magic.

I'll go get my magic
    You'll go get your magic.

Emotional, financial, spiritual cost of the equation = Zero.

How cool is that?

Why do we keep talking about this? I'm baffled.
    Again.
    And again.
    And again.
    And again.

QSZ?

AG5DB and KD2RDG like this.
  8. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Slow news day.

Tomorrow we'll talk about bugs and how sometimes they are hard to use.

W9RAC and WA1GXC like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your contribution...it all adds up. :D

10. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly support the motion to dedicate more time and QSOs to CW. I personally have not noticed any dropoff in activity, though. I rarely have trouble drumming up a QSO.

KA4DPO likes this.