CW Question

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4HFO, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4HFO

N4HFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to learn code. I currently have tow apps on my phone that have been a GREAT help in the learning process, 2 Amateur ham radio CW Morse code practice keys TX and 20WPM Amateur radio Koch CW Morse code trainer, both in my opinion are excellent. I would like to buy a KENT twin paddle key and use it at work, My question is what would you recommend me to use for the Tone generator?

Thanks for the Help?
    73s
    Jeff N4HFO

2. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it were me, do a google search for keyer kits or check QRPguys or any number of qrp kit groups they are cheap and often run on a 9v and small.

Another one for apps is morse machine it is what I have been using.

David

K9ASE likes this.
  3. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP Kits and QRP Guys both have keyer kits with sidetone built in. That way you could use it as a keyer for your radio later. MFJ also carries keyers and trainers
    I would start with a straight key and simple oscillator. That way you get a good start in the basics without worrying about modes and speeds and such. Plus not a big investment if you decide CW isn't for you.
    For me copying was much harder than sending. Try to listen to real CW on the radio as much as possible.

4. N4HFO

N4HFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that!
    I still get fixated on letters and then get even more fouled up, and your correct about listening to CW very helpful and then when you do start to “hear it”, it’s like someone just flipped the light switch on.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been at it for 3 weeks, and still have about 1/3 of the alphabet and numbers/punctuation to memorize to the point that I don't need a chart sometimes. I have found that LCWO.net has been an excellent learning tool.

I don't use an oscillator, because I practice with the BK-IN turned off, so that I don't transmit, and the RF Gain turned up to silence some hiss. I downloaded a simple list of the 50 most common English words for sending practice, and go through them every day. On the road, I use the Morse CT app and my smartphone to practice learning a few characters ahead of what LCWO is giving me.

This combo, and listening to short words on IZ2UUF Morse app on the subway (or in bed), at 20wpm, has been awesome. I'll extend to more characters as I progress.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep up the good work. The 50 most common words thing probably has value, but remember when using CW, MNI USE ABRVTNS A LOT ES MNI ABRVTNS R JUST MADE UP DURING QSO ES NT PUBLSHD ANIWHR.

KE0EYJ and K9ASE like this.
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Please look up the commonly used ham radio abbreviations, print and post a list near your radio when you are ready to get on the air !
    too many are using the cellphone text nonsense like "OMG and LOL" instead of traditional radio terms !!!:eek:

M6GYU and KE0EYJ like this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes...:p

9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Language changes over time, and old people always complain about it.

haha

This is a good idea, though. Will change to it.