CW question (new CW op)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Aug 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes a lot of sense. But aren't there any casual hams like me in Europe, or are they all DX hounds over there? lol

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure there are casual ragchewers out there... I wonder if it's a language thing? We Americans aren't all multi-lingual, I wonder if it's the same with them? It's easy for a dxer to learn enough for a wham bam thank you ma'am, but perhaps more difficult for a conversation?

I do know that more europeans speak English than USA speaking theirs, but there may still be difficulty for them?

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I rag chew with stations in EU, AS and OC all the time.

L-o-n-g chats, can last an hour if propagation holds in there (the huge variable we can't control).

Rare to have a rag chew with stations in Africa, for me. But those who have a better "shot" at it might.

4. KD8ZM

I'll file that away for when I've been doing CW QSOs for longer than 3 weeks! :) At this point I am doing the perfunctory exchanges along with a few extra sentences on extraneous subjects. Newbie stuff!

W0GSQ and KQ4MM like this.
  5. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm almost there, lesson 31 on the LCWO site... Nervous but can't wait .. Plan to try and make at least 2 or 3 CW QSO a day starting out, the do some of the SKCC sprints and such ...

6. KD8ZM

My experience so far (after 3 weeks) is that the CW operators are probably the most helpful and supportive group I have ever been in contact with. I understand the nervousness factor, but if they are going too fast for you to copy, explain that you're new to CW and ask for a QRS. I did that for the first week or so, but since then have not had to even do that.
    Flubbing up the first few QSOs in some way, is normal. You'll quickly relax. Also, keep it slow at first - that helps a lot. Pay careful attention to spacing of dits and dahs, and spacing between words, so that it's easy for others to understand you. Have a short QSO, take a break, have another one, take a break, etc. It is a lot less exhausting that way.
    Being a newbie, that's my advice. Welcome to CW, by the way!
    Brady

7. KQ4MM

@KD8ZM ... Thanks for the welcome and will do on the advice... I plan to have some templates in front of me for a while to stay procedurally correct and have been practicing my spacing diligently.

8. KD8ZM

That seems like a good idea. I listened to the "Koch Morse Trainer" android app in "QSO mode" several times daily which familiarized me with the QSO lingo and structure before I got on the air. I still do that several times a day. It's all head copy of course, but you can go as slow as you need to. I'm up to about 15 wpm on that app now which allows me to do 10 to 12 wpm on the air (slower on the air due to qrn, qsb, bad fists, etc.). It doesn't replace on the air experience but it does augment it for those times when you can't be on the air. It's good practice for head-copying while you're doing other tasks.

9. KQ4MM

I'll have to take a look at the app, I use android for a phone ... 15WPM, seems like I have a long time to go, I'm doing character speeds of 15 and wpm at 5 right now, still stumble on some. Plan on exclusively using a straight key for now so don't think I will ever really get too fast. Really want to just relax, have fun and make some QSO's, speed will come naturally and in time I imagine.

Hope to work you some day

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a very firm believer in maintaining word spacing. Howhardisittocopywhenwordsareallruntogether?

Yes, please try to keep space between words!

KD8ZM and W0GSQ like this.