ad: elecraft

CW pitch?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by ZL1UZM, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm on the internet and copying code most of the time I am at my station, unless it is contest time and I'm running.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Working code and doing other stuff is the same as making a voice contact and doing other stuff.

I've seen guys who absolutely cannot carry on a voice conversation on the air if someone in the shack interrupts them...no ability to do two things at once. I have no clue why not, this seems ridiculous.

But different strokes...

To me, code or voice is all the same thing. Either you can do two things at once, or you can't. Reminds me of the old joke about walking and chewing gum.

3. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I figure it's probably a question of cerebral cross-talk. For me, doing two words-centred things at the same time is out. I can read and listen to wordless music, but I can't read and listen to songs because the words I'm hearing and the words I'm reading will get mixed up. It's not like walking and chewing gum, it's like chewing gum while eating dinner. ;)

4. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I'm glad that at least a couple of people have mentioned using RIT to vary the tone. DON'T use the main tuning dial to vary the incoming tone. You will be chasing each other up and down the band ! ( It is called "hopscotching".

The correct procedure when using an xceiver is to MATCH the incoming tone with your sidetone oscillator to get on the proper frequency ( a form of "zero beating" ) . And then, if you want to do so, feel free to change the incoming pitch to whatever is most comfortable, with the RIT control.

Owners of separate receivers, or those familiar with operating "split" have got a slightly easier job, since they CAN use a larger tuning dial ( often the main one ) to change the receive pitch, without changing the transmitted frequency.

Jim

5. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with zero beating on an incoming signal then using the RIT then to vary the tone if you are using a narrow filter the signal might fall outside the filters response.

Using split is a great way of operating, you just have to remember to either remove the split or sync up the TX to the RX frequency when you change frequency, before you push the tit, otherwise there are going to be some very angry operators. :D

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Paul, that is why better receivers not only have RIT but pass band tuning ( PBT ) as well !

7. KR2C

KR2C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like to use 700hz. Funny thing is that if I'm working a guy who is at or over my copy limit, I find that lowering the tone of his signal makes it as if it was being sent slower and i can copy the message. I think it's a mental block with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.