CW pitch?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by ZL1UZM, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still struggling with Koch lessons (it's a s-l-o-w process for me...) and I sometimes find, particularly later in the day, that, however quietly I let the morse play, the tone goes right through my head, like fingernails on a blackboard. Clearly, that's time to put the code aside for the day, but I wonder whether there are ways to alleviate the effect, as sometimes it starts happening before I've listened to even a couple of minutes, so I can't even get five minutes' practice that day...

2. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Since I do a lot of weak signal CW work (and with my stealth antennas there are a lot of weak signals), I tweak the RIT to find the tone that pops out of the mud the best for a given signal. It can vary a lot!

Now, for "easy listening CW," I tend to prefer about 500 Hz.

Bill

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Listening is boring. For some people with very active minds, it's almost impossible to concentrate on it as they're thinking of twenty other things while listening.

If your license allows you to actually use CW, it's much more efficient to just start using it and making contacts. Even if your copy is terrible, you'll muddle through and using the code (including sending, not just listening) focuses the mind much better than simply listening.

I encouraged code students who were licensed to start using it as soon as they knew enough code to send CQ and their own call. If they missed 90% of what was sent to them, they were still making contacts. A few weeks later, they weren't missing anything.

4. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

True. This is exactly what I did when I started out. The OT's won't mind. Just keep sending OP? or QTH? and eventually it'll make sense. The OT knows your struggling. He or she is usually more than willing to lend a hand.

Nowadays, I do listen more and play online simulations such as QRQ by Fabian Kurz DJ1YFK for Linux users and RufzXP by Mathias Kolpe DL4MM and Alessandro Vitiello IV3XYM for Windows users. RufzXP does not work well under Wine. Use QRQ even though it's shell based.

As with public music recitals, most of the hard work is done in the practice room. Same with CW -- offline practice can be useful once speed is built up. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't keep getting on the air as well.

73, Jordan

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick -

Vary the tone. I have that problem during longer listening / contest periods --
    and find that I have to very the "pitch" between 700 and 800 Hz.

I think I have sold anything that has a fixed pitch (oscillators) that are not easily be changed.

w9gb

6. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the advice. I'd wondered whether the problem was the sine waves; pure tones being not what the ear's best suited to hearing. I'll make a point of varying things a bit, and see what difference it makes.

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey John!!! has ur leg started doing that 'twitchy' thing yet ??? You must be up to abt 20wpm or so by now???...

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally,.. Had the chance / time to actually read this response!! People with 'keen' minds often have trouble 'concentrating on the code'.,.. What you say is 100% accurate. Once they master it,... they find it easy to copy / send code and 'read a paper' at the same time !! lol lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ed0TSp0gs ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  9. N5YFC

N5YFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my Ten Tec Jupiter about 10 years ago and set everything the way I liked it and never looked back.
    I have no idea what I have it set to. I will not change it until I feel like I need to.

Wayne
    N5YFC

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I work CW and watch TV at the same time almost every day. One has nothing to do with the other, and it's actually pretty easy. I can also work CW and read a book, it's just not a big deal.

To me, it's the same as being on the telephone and having the XYL talk to you at the same time. There shouldn't be any problem doing both, although the XYL is annoying.:p

Once code becomes nothing more than another language with fluency, everything is easy.

I think hams spend too much time worrying about it being difficult or unusual, and it's neither.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.