CW pitch?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by ZL1UZM, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

VERY well said! This is outstanding advice that any CW operator would do well to apply.

2. WI2D

WI2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Wolf,
    In my experience when trying very low pitch right away I could not hear a thing.
    So I decided to gradually reduce pitch frequency in the following manner:
    While doing my daily CW practice I went down 10% in pitch frequency (i.e. 800 to 720 Hz). 10 percent difference did not affect copying ability. When new lower frequency started to sound to me as good and comfortable as original one (in my case it was two weeks on average), I reduced it 10% more. This way in about 4 months I arrived to 300 Hz.
    Since my primary goal is still a decent head copy at 25 WPM, I am focusing on the daily receiving and sending practice sessions. Low pitch frequency was just an easy bonus to it.
    You may try the above technique with your normal CW QSOs and practice.

73!
    Andrey - WI2D

3. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip, Andrey. Yes, jumping from 800 to 400 would be too radical.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I scoot it around a lot....helps prevent burning ruts in your cochlea. But normally, I like it around 500 Hz

5. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure if anyone else has come across this, but some time ago I read an article that the best note to copy was not a sine wave, but a more complex waveform like sawtooth or square-wave which would be rich in harmonics, the reasoning behind it was because the pure sine-wave is not actually a natural sound in nature. Most sounds contain complex waveforms, like musical instruments that all produce complex waveforms in the form of mixing fundamental and harmonics. Many years ago on one of my old home brew rigs I did make a circuit to rough up the waveform, not by much, but it was no longer a pure sine-wave and I found that much more relaxing to listen to. I can't remember how that works on a crowded band, but from memory I never seemed to have any problems copying signals irrespective of the tone frequency.

I suppose it's much like the old MCW transmissions on 500KHz that were a joy to listen to with the BFO on.

6. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been doing that for many years. Two back-to-back diodes are your friend.

I usually only run the diodes into saturation when I'm trying to copy a weak CW signal that's buried in the noise. That really helps.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Paul:

This is demonstrably true. Most of the earlier code practice oscillators used a neon relaxation oscillator, which produced a somewhat rounded sawtooth....VERY punchy....easy to copy in a noisy classroom....or Cub Scout den!

Eric

8. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got two notches in my hearing,at 400Hz & 1kHZ from MF AM transmitter distortion test tone & lineup tone.
    Well,I suppose the one around 400Hz is a bit broader,as we had to change to the more politically correct 440Hz:D.
    73,VK6ZGO

9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno... I've been operating for over 50 years and never once thought about what freq I was listening to for a tone. I figured that's why they put a BFO Pitch control on rcvrs. I change tones frequently during operating, due to QRM, QRN, QSB, or, to just change 'pitch'. I also use a second rcvr as a side-tone, so as to be able to change pitch while sending. (use mostly all ole tube stuff)... Whatever works...

10. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all...

I was reading this thread the other day....and thought I would see how it goes...I am still learning...I reduced the Pitch down from 750 to 650. And for some reason....last evening was the best practice and seemed to have good progress compared to previous days...

Not sure why, I am thinking maybe its the pitch were I went from just hearing to actually listening.

Hard to explain, just hope it keeps up

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.