CW pitch?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by ZL1UZM, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious what everybody's preferred CW tone frequency is.
    My one is 700 Hz. What's yours?
    Do you change it sometimes depending on your mood or the conditions?

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm around 600 Hz but yes, I change it when I feel the need!

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm around 700Hz and may change it once in a while but not very often.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using 500hz for years but seemed to be having difficulty hearing the null a couple years ago so I switched to 600hz. I suspect I've got a notch in my hearing developing.

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a favorite pitch. I change to suit the conditions and the tone that gets thru to me. Sometimes several times per transmission.

6. AK7V

AK7V Ham Member QRZ Page

I like 600Hz, but discovered that the cheap headphones I've been using lately respond better at 650 or 700Hz.

7. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I go as low as possible. I've never measured it, but I'm fairly sure that it's around 400 Hz.

Listening at a low frequency is not only less fatiguing, but you can separate adjacent signals better.

I learned that from W8JI years ago.

8. KE3WD

KE3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

I also find that a lower pitch has become easier on the older ears, although it never really was a concern, tending to change it to suit condx and such. For example, I used to intentionally change the pitch when doing CW contesting, relieves the monotony a bit sometimes, can be useful when ear fatigue rears its ugly head.

No rules here.

None needed.

9. WI2D

WI2D Ham Member QRZ Page

300 Hz!

About a year ago I began re-learning CW.
    Starting with 700 Hz gradually went down to 300 Hz.
    I would experiment with lower frequencies but pitch below 300 Hz is simply not available on the most transceivers.
    Two reasons for using the lowest available pitch:
    - It is easier for our brain to distinguish nearby signals at lower frequencies;
    - By switching between CW and CR-R modes it is possible to move most of the QRM to the sub-audible range.

Very low CW pitch sounds unnatural and difficult to copy at first, but with practice it became as comfortable to copy 300 Hz pitch CW for me as higher pitches.

Check out earlier discussion and DJ1YFK's comments on this subject:
    http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,71700.0.html
    http://fkurz.net/ham/stuff.html#noise

73!
    Andrey - WI2D

10. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your replies.
    Before I started this thread, I would have never even considered the lower pitches. Lately I went back up to 800 Hz from 700 Hz.
    I'll try out 400 Hz for a while. If my ears accept it, I'll report back to you.
    tnx es 73 de wolf, ZL1UZM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.