ad: w5yi

CW people- name two radios for me please!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NG9F, Jun 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which radio have you tried or owned that had the most irritating narrow filter for CW, and which had the most pleasing/transparent narrow filter?

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had radios that lacked a narrow CW filter and that could be irritating in crowded band conditions but I haven't really had radios with tight filters that were in and of themselves irritating.

In terms of radios with most pleasing narrow CW filters they'd probably be:

- Ten Tec Orion II as a really good combo of switchable narrow roofing filter and adjustable IF DSP filter along with an adjustable audio filter they call SAF. That combo is killer for weak signal CW work or pulling out a signal in crowded band conditions.

- Ten Tec Omni VI+ had a really nice set of crystal filter combinations along with a good CW focused DSP function that really made CW signals pop but without the continuous adjustability of the Orion II

- Kenwood TS-830s outfitted with Inrad 400 Hz CW filters in both IF strips. This rig is really good at pulling out weak CW signals and when used along with the Variable Bandwidth Tuning and IF Shift controls is a very good CW rig when things get tough

- Ten Tec Corsair II with user selectable crystal IF filters and a nice built in audio passband filter that's great for tough to copy CW signals

- Yaesu FT-902DM that also includes good crystal filtering and a built in narrow audio peaking filter

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Most irritating (as much as I hate to say it as I'm a huge fan of the brand) is Heathkit - their choice of a 1KHz center has some logic behind it but it's surely hard on the ears.

My favorite of all time is the Drake R4B "analog passband" filter for being "sweet to my ears"

Yaesu FT-950 and IC-7300 for digital filters ain't bad!

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4ELG and KP4SX like this.
  4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno Dave. Although the DSP filtering on the 7300 works very well, I find it a bit harsh to listen to. Maybe it’s just a little too good, HI.

Them most pleasant CW filter I have run across is the 300 HZ filter in the IC-706. In my opinion, the 706 without a filter is almost unusable on CW, yet with the 300 HZ in place, it becomes a pleasure to listen to. The perfect filter bandwidth for that particular rig.

K0UO likes this.
  5. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst? (Recently) MFJ-9020 with a narrow filter option installed. It was ringy, but usable.

Best? (Modern day) Just about any analog Icom except the 718.

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The narrower a filter is, the more it rings. The wider a filter is, the more noise it admits. The best compromise depends on conditions. That's why I like an adjustable-width filter like on my KX-3.

KD9PQB and W5ESE like this.
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ginger was pleasing to the eye, Mary Ann was easier on the ears.

WS9K, AJ4WC, K7MH and 1 other person like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Almost anything made by Ten Tec is pleasant operating and listening on CW.

F8WBD, KC2SIZ and N2EY like this.
  9. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion any Kenwood radio with the YK-88CN 270 cycle filter is very annoying to listen to, particularly a Kenwood TS-530S. The '530 had the noisiest post-filtering IF amplifiers of all the radios that used the YK-88 series of filters.

A TS-830/930/940/850 with 500 cycle filters in both IFs and variable bandpass ability, is much superior.

10. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the best rigs I've ever had the opportunity to use was the Collins KWM-380 we had on Field Day about 10 years ago. IIRC, the CW filter was a 500 Hz unit, but you couldn't even tell it was there. . . it just passed only the signal within its passband with no artifacts or ringing. Just a pleasure to listen to for long periods in the contest mayhem.

As for the other rigs. . . they are all over the map. My earlier Yaesu's (FT-840 with 500 Hz CW filter, FT-847 with 500 Hz mech filter) were only so/so. My current Kenwood TS-590S is very good, but once you get it narrowed down below 100 Hz, it will ring some. The filtering works great, though. . .

K0UO likes this.