ad: elecraft

CW on 2 meters

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG7IRP, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KG7IRP

KG7IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a new tech. and thinking about operating CW on 2 meters. Any nice transceivers recommend for this operation. 73 John KG7IRP

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Several of the 'shack in a box' radios will do CW very nicely on 2 meters and most of the other commonly used bands. IC706 series, IC7000, IC7100, FT857, FT897 or qrp FT817.

There are a few older radios out there that would work well, too.

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

When used Morse code on FM (what a waste of bandwidth!) I used a SignaLink soundcard interface. Most modern radios will handle that fine.

Many folks use an "air connection" by just holding the mic open with one hand while keying with the other.

4. AA8TA

AA8TA Ham Member QRZ Page

You can operate CW on parts of 80, 40, 15 and 10 meters and SSB on part of 10 meters. A 10 meter antenna wouldn't be too unwieldy although 10 meters hasn't been too hot lately. Gives you a few more options for finding some other CW operators.

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There's nothing wrong with operating CW on 2m. In fact, I think that's great. But, a CW rig for any HF band is likely to be much less expensive than a 2m CW rig.

N0TTI likes this.
  6. KG7IRP

KG7IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Is ok to operate CW thru a repeater? 73, John KG7IRP

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Only via the MCW mode and don't expect to be all too popular doing it if it's a popular repeater :)

VERY VERY few hams are going to be set up for MCW and you'll be quite alone on a repeater I'm afraid.

Best stick with actual CW (not "M"CW) at 144.200

But there is nothing illegal about doing MCW on a repeater - back in the 70s there were nets here and there
    for code practice using MCW on one of the local repeaters here. Haven't heard it in years outside of the
    repeater ID itself on many of the repeaters.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. AA8TA

AA8TA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. It's unusual, some people may not like it. If you're using the standard 2m radios, which are FM, you'll need an audio adapter. I saw plans for building one somewhere, but I forget where. I guess you could also use a code practice unit and hold your mic near the unit, but that would awkward.

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Get the repeater owner's permission. Some repeater owners do not like that at all. Some encourage it.

10. W5SMD

W5SMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done 2 meter Morse code by hitting one of the numbers on my HT while holding the PTT. It isn't very well sent code, but it does generate some interest.

Stephen
    W5SMD

NT7IM and AJ6KZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.