CW keyer reader

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NC6B, Sep 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a ts990 and 101d, both have readers both do fair with decent paddle and decent signal. Even a faint signal will decode if its a paddle enough to understand some. Any mechanical key the both seem to fail. If the conditions were right and a guy wanted to listen in, I get it. 73 Rich

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Radios have macro's no?

3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Naaa keep blasting away, I mean eventually we have to get there right? Not unless you want to play in contests with all the speed demon machine code, then go for it. LOL

WZ7U likes this.
  4. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My FTdx10 copies code fine and better than most I’d say. I can use my bug at any speed and it will read it perfectly. I don’t really use it unless I hear 50wpm and up then I will kick it on to follow along and at that speed keyboards are easy for any reader. FEW can send faster than 50 WPM even with the best of paddles and the ones who can are mostly liars.

5. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can say that you must have that bug down to an art since the reader gets it. I always run the reader along with my QSO's for fun 95% of which are generated from the Op. on a mechanical key. Its not often the reader will do good enough that I would be able to have a conversation just using it, however I am strictly rag-chew CW Op. so its not simple exchanges. Sometimes I will run across a guy who has a very good fist like you and the reader does pretty good following them with the mechanical key. When that happens I complement them. 73 Rich

K3EY likes this.
  6. K3EY

Honestly I can and I send lefty and I am right handed. That is how I taught myself almost 40 years ago.

W9RAC and KP4SX like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I started out with the key on my left side because that was all the space I had. Logbook and pencil were on the right. So I keyed with my left hand and got pretty good. Can't do it now, tho.

W9RAC likes this.
  8. K3EY

That about what I did cuz pencil was in right hand. I just never stopped now it feels clumsy right handed.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I migrated to a paddle with my right and could still hold the pencil :)

K3EY likes this.
  10. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many readers interface to the K1EL keyer or a USB/rs232 DTR keying like FlDigi / HRD/DM780 and many others; and also many hardware ones incorporate a built in keyboard jack where you just type on a USB keyboard.

W9RAC likes this.