CW is a mode with protocols.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jan 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Or could it be some folks just don't give a crap about protocols and rules?

2. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a similar problem on phone (FM) with a local Tech. He always turned the calls around, (his call, then my call). The folks on the local repeater made sure they sent it (his call, thier call), but he never got the hint. It finally took stopping the QSO and explaining to him the accepted way of Idenification. Not that we didn't understand what he meant. We tried to do it gently, rather than someone jumping all over him, "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG NEWBEE". Some times you've got to lead people by the hand.

H'e a good kid, 15, and has a couple of snow removal yard mowing business of his own, working on his general now and building antennas. He'll be a fine operator, just needs a little mentoring.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

KL7KN, N8AFT and WN1MB like this.
  3. KI7LQM

KI7LQM Ham Member QRZ Page

V band would be great, but it won't work with my key set up - I'm using a key wired to the left button of a mouse, which works great for everywhere else, but V Band. I'm guessing they are more paddle oriented than key... (Yes, I am a Luddite).

I've gone to CWCom and using their program to connect with others.

4. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I looked up the CW activity of the blamed OM. He seems to be a beginner, as I am.

For me a good basis of ham radio could be the following:
    (the last sentence, "patriotic" is changed in the German translation to:
    "The amateur promotes international friendship")

The Amateur's Code
    The Radio Amateur is:

Considerate...
    never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

Loyal...
    offers loyality, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, and his or her national radio amateur association.

Progressive...
    with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and efficient station and operation above reproach.

Friendly...
    slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interest of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

Balanced...
    radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school, or community.

Patriotic...
    station and skill always ready for service to country and community.

Written by Paul M.Segal, W9EEA, in 1928.

WA1GXC, W9AFB, KI4ZUQ and 1 other person like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Rules" in amateur radio are pretty loose and almost entirely self-enforced.

Protocols are something pretty different, to me. Almost every "poor" operator I hear isn't actually breaking any rules.

As a long-time mostly-CW op, I encourage all hams to "try" CW, but do a lot of listening, and even some reading, to determine how to really use the mode. "Code" is only the language, "CW" is a mode.

I must say, I also hear some "phone" (mostly SSB) ops who call CQ and never, ever ask anyone to reply.:p "CQ CQ WX1ABC CQ CQ WX1ABC" and then ending the transmission doesn't ask anyone to answer...so I don't. Nobody should.

So, the problem is not restricted to CW operations.:(

N8AFT and WN1MB like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not well versed in German but this is the translation I found.
    Patriotisch...
    station und Geschicklichkeit immer bereit für den Dienst an Land und Gemeinschaft

7. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is it specified a recommended format? I went looking for that some time back and turned up pretty much of nothing as a format, custom or even much of an opinion. I may have missed it. Recently downloaded a 2011 ARRL Handbook so will look in there but as recalled the 2009 handbook I gave away to a newbee did not have much beyond describing the RST convention....

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

And I believe that if you went on the air, then you must remember that you are not alone there. It's like on the road. If everyone starts driving in the oncoming lane or backwards or on your lawn, then no one will like it.
    Personally, mainly two things upset me.
    When someone starts doing the CQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQ many times and the call sign once in the end, then I turn the knob further after 3-4 of these CQ.
    And there are those who like to transmit with a straight key without spaces, either between characters or between words. Did you guys hear yourself? This is fucked up! I understand that working on a straight key is difficult, but pauses between signs and words is the easiest part, fuck!

9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried just listening to what others are transmitting? Radio is to transmit and listen 1 in 10.

W4LJ and WN1MB like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just spend some time listening to the bands and see what you can pick up. I've always found that at least 50% of ham radio is listening.

WB5YUZ, W1BR, W4LJ and 2 others like this.