CW in public art -- oops!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AG6QR, Aug 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent some time recently in the international arrivals hall of the San Francisco airport, waiting for relatives to get through customs after a long international flight. The waiting area for friends/family has an art installation -- the entire floor is made to resemble a crude map of the world, with cast metal plates at the approximate relative locations of many major airports. The plates are in a style somewhat resembling a pilot's approach plates, with navigation aids marked in authentic style, with the frequency and three letter identifier, both spelled out in capital letters, and represented in dot-dash format in Morse code. Yes, aviation navigation aids still transmit their identifiers in Morse, at a very slow rate, slow enough that a pilot who doesn't know the code can look at the map's pictorial depiction of the dots and dashes while listening to the CW ID repeating, and confirm whether he's tuned the station he wanted.

I had plenty of time, and I looked at many of the airports. But I noticed something peculiar about Mexico. Or should I say, Meyico.

[​IMG]

N2AMM, N5CM, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep,... appears as tho someone screwed THAT up !! ("MEY" instead of "MEX) :rolleyes:

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, Meyhico....
    OBVIOUSLY a "No-Code" artist... :p

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And it's pretty much literally written in stone now....

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB likes this.
  5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or brass.

6. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's part of the current sex confusion fad. Where an X can be a Y. Seriously. :eek:

KA0HCP and ND6M like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Which in turn.... is set in stone ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7BKV likes this.
  8. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s a good thing that pilots carry around approach plates instead of airport floors to execute a landing.

I actually used to DX NDBs (non-directional beacons) when I was learning Morse code. Now, you can do that to see if the 630 or 2200 meter bands are open.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, ..........they got TPX correct

10. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

maybe a sharpie could turn that dash into a dot