CW history question....

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB4MNG, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's do the math!

$1,285.29 per month is $15,423.48 per year. That's about equal to the federal minimum wage today.

$3,855.87 per month is $46,270.44 per year. That's quite a bit less than the US median income today. And that's the top end of the pay scale.

But there's more!

I don't think the telegrapher of 1911 worked 5 days a week, 8 hours per day. Back then, the work day and work week were longer, so the actual hourly pay was much lower than today.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes! It's excellent, and shows how everything old is new again.

Also this:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...s-175-years-and-counting.659330/#post-5073569

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed,... I'm certain that there were 12 to 14 hour-days (with NO overtime) I think that they were on 'salary' - (NO unions for them back then) :( It must've been a "Bitch" back then , being a railroad telegrapher . - It's a very interesting book, if you're interested: in railroad Telegraphy" G.M. Dodge - "The Telegraph Instructor" (1911 edition)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. W5BIB

It was a top-of-the-line job back in 1911 !!!

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI STEVE,

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT YOUR ORIGINAL W4WLO CARD IS ON A FORMAT THAT IS NOT SUPPORTED BY QRZ.

I HAVE SAVED IT AS A JPEG AND HERE IS THE RESULTS.

WLO NEW.jpg
    ======== BIG CLEAN PUP.gif

73 - K1LKP

W5BIB likes this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI STEVE, WHEN TIME ALLOWS ....... CHECK OUT THE QRZ PAGE FOR N9EJS.

GEORGE HAS BEEN A LONG TIME MEMBER OF THE CFO.

73 - K1LKP

W5BIB likes this.
  7. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look up the CPI change from 1911 to 2019, it comes out as follows, as lifted right off the website that calculates these things:

"In other words, $1 in 1911 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $27.01 in 2019."

I had thought telegraphers of that era were getting about $10-15/week for a 54 hour workweek (9 hour days x 6 days). That comes out to $0.18-0.28 per hour.

Correcting for inflation, that would be $4.86-7.56/hour at today's rates. Not great pay.

Stock market telegraphers got paid more.

And it was stressful work in the busier offices.

N2EY and W5BIB like this.
  8. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Now here's a little ditty I just noticed:

One of the trade journals telegraphers read was called "Telegraph Age" which was published from around 1884 until 1909. I can't find any reference to them still publishing after the Dec. 1909 issue, so I think Dec. 1909 was the end. The address on the frontispiece of the Dec. 1909 issue is listed, below, as 253 Broadway, NYC.

Does that address ring any bells among any of you bug guys out there?

When J.E. Albright moved back to NYC after leaving Norcross, GA, the address the company occupied from 1910-1920 was...well...253 Broadway. See 1911 ad for a 'Model 'X'

So it looks like 'Telegraph Age' vacated the premises, and Vibroplex moved in. Small world.

253 Broadway 1 copy.jpg

253 Broadway Dec. 2011 Commerical Telegrapher.jpg

N2EY and W5BIB like this.
  9. W5BIB

More CW history as father time marches on...

I was fortunate to be accepted for membership into this unique fraternal organization before it ceased taking applications.

[​IMG]

VWOA - (Veteran Wireless Operators Association)
    http://vwoa.org/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  10. KB3MOW

KB3MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

My Grandmother was a supervisor with Western Union "back in the day". She used to travel to various WU offices when telegraphers quit or were fired, to fill in until they hired someone new. Her and my Mother spent a lot of time traveling, mostly through the south and southwest.

Granny did indeed carry her own key around with her. She used a Navy Flameproof, at least in the latter days of her career. I'm lucky enough to have her key in my on-air lineup. I use my 1960 Vibroplex Original and my 1960's coffin bug for most CW, but it is a real pleasure to use the Flameproof when I need to send slow code!!!

Dave - KB3MOW

W5BIB likes this.