CW for Relaxing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by DL4QB, Jun 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello dear OMs,

since the beginning of this year I am VERY active in getting my CW knowledge back on track. Meanwhile I can do standard QSOs with 20 WPM. I am very proud of that. Plain text for ragchewing comes after that in some time..

But..I noticed that I was very nervous at the beginning with the first 30 QSOs in CW. Meanwhile I have to say, it is a feeling of relaxation. I love it now after work to take a coffee, relax a bit and then CW. I get down really well, probably because you have to put your head on CW and everything else is "switched off". Is it the same for you?

73 Andre / DL4QB

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found CW to be relaxing ONLY AFTER I became rather proficient (excellent) and confident of my capabilities. That took a while. ;)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Way more relaxing for me than any other mode.

I use CW a lot, lights shut off, don't even open my eyes...if the other guy sends a long diatribe that's boring, I can fall asleep but try not to.:p

KL7KN and AD5HR like this.
  4. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was trying 20 wpm back in the day, I was hearing it all the time. Not very relaxing.

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

snoopy.jpg

WC5P likes this.
  6. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago I found it very relaxing to copy CW broadcasts on a manual typewriter. Something about banging on the keys and slamming the carriage return every line while translating the Morse characters really puts you in the zone. Using a keyboard doesn't have quite the same effect.

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There definitely is a "zone", where copy is almost effortless. For me, that takes some concentration... That is, a deliberate letting go of everything else in my head, which is indeed rather meditative and relaxing. I can't always do it.

NL7W likes this.
  8. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in early 1982 I received my novice ticket. That was perfect timing because almost simultaneously my pregnant wife had a major stroke. Two hours in the evenings I would get on CW and forget the terrible nightmare I was living.
    My speed magically went up to anyone else’s speed on the bands. I could copy anyone. Since then CW has always been my favorite mode.

9. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the "zone" thing.

When I was getting my code speed up to par, for the 20 WPM Morse test, I went right past 20 WPM. I was copying a little under 30 WPM, by the time I went for the test. I found that copying the 20 WPM test was a breeze. I was completely relaxed and finished with 100% copy.

While copying, I was able to pay attention to the other hams around me. There were 8 others taking the test, but they were not very relaxed. My guess is that, they were just at the edge of their copy capability.

One testee was taking the test for the third time, and wanted to use a keyboard. They gave him a keyboard to use and started the test. He was so nervous that, after about 30 seconds, he pushed the keyboard away and grabbed a pencil. But he was too nervous to get enough of the test material to pass. I really felt bad for him.

10. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations Andre.

CW has been my favorite mode since the beginning ( Novice in 1963 ) and although I dabble in SSB, RTTY, and FT8, it is CW that makes a difference for me. I suffered a major head trauma in 2006 and I have found that a dose of CW every day really helps with both relaxation and mental focus. It has also improved my physical dexterity which has been impaired since the accident. So for me CW is both relaxing and therapeutic.