ad: Amateur-1

CW filter settings

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KK4JW, Oct 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4JW

KK4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

Using an IC-7300, but this can apply to other rigs with adjustable filtering..

What is a good starting point for my filter in CW mode? I am able to adjust BW (bandwidth) and SFT (shift), but really don't know just "where" I should put it. Or is this one of those things that is more or less based on personal preference?

2. K0INN

K0INN Ham Member QRZ Page

The idea behind the filter controls is to isolate the station you are interested in receiving and eliminate other stations or interference that you don't want to hear.

500 htz is a good bandwidth for CW listening. Narrower than that and it can be fatiguing on the ears. Of course, if you are trying to listen to a station that is close in frequency to another station you may need a narrower bandwidth to isolate the desired station. For working stations in a contest, I've used 150 htz before if the stations are close together.

I would set the shift to the center. If you are listening to a station and get interference from either above or beneath it, you can adjust the shift up or down to eliminate the interfering signal.

W9RAC, WB5YUZ and KK4JW like this.
  3. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had the Tentec working, I used to start wide and narrow it up once into a QSO. I find that weak CW is easier to recognize when the filter is pretty wide, which seems counter-intuitive, but there you go.

Play around and you'll develop your own preferences.

KL7KN and WB5YUZ like this.
  4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As above, the answer to that is based largely on personal preference. I have my filters set at 3.6, 2, and .5 kHz. I also like to use a wider filter whenever possible so I can hear the DX or old friends calling off-frequency. 3.6 is proving a little too wide, though, and I am thinking about changing to something like 2.5, 1.5, and .5 kHz.

5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have mine set at 1.0, .5, .25 but the best filter is the one between the ears.

K8PG and WA1GXC like this.
  6. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

i start out wide and tune around

when i find something to work, I start to narrow the bandwidth

in a CW contest, i might go 50-100hz in a crowd

I use a Kenwood 590

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Shift" would normally be disabled or set to "0" for tuning around and general operations. It can be helpful if you're listening to a weaker station and a stronger one comes up near (but not on) the same frequency.

Filtering is another matter. For CW work (mostly what I do), my personal preference is about 1.8 to 2.1 kHz filter BW for general tuning around, and if a QSO can be enjoyed at that setting, just leave it there. If interference makes it difficult to maintain contact, crank it down to narrow it up.

Also, if engaged in a contact and the other station fades from readable to very weak (propagation), once very weak a much narrower filter can help bring the signal back up out of the noise; in such cases, I go to as narrow as 150 Hz. "Tuning around" with such a filter bandwidth is tiring and requires excruciatingly slow tuning rates; but to bring a weak and fading signal back up out of the noise once you have a station tuned in -- hard to beat a very narrow filter.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  8. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did this yesterday and like the results. With the filter 3.6 kHz wide, there was almost always a signal in the passband stronger than whatever I was trying to hear. Cutting down on the bandwidth 1100 Hz made a difference, and I can still hear what's going on above and below me.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mighty awful Broad unless you actually wanna hear everyone on the band...

K8PG likes this.