CW filter settings- what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NG9F, Sep 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having used a PFR-3a for some time, I was quite spoiled by the narrow / sharp filter - the signals seemed to just pop up out of the silence, quite eerie for the first few times.

I recently purchased a 300 HZ Collins filter for my FT-817 - while they could still be had. My goodness. what a difference it makes. As other have noted, use a wider BW for calling / searching, go to the narrow filter for a chat.

2. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the replies! I will try the soft filter shapes and also the audio peak filter. I've not used either so far.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Also helps with extremely weak signals that are in the noise.

I use 150 Hz quite often even on an uncrowded band if the signal I'm trying to receive is about 219 or something; can improve that to 419 with the turn of a knob.

For stronger signals on an uncrowded band, a wider filter is less annoying.

WB5YUZ, NG9F and KA2CZU like this.
  4. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I'm cruising the CW band, I'll use the wide SSB filter as I'm tuning, and then narrow things down once I get into a QSO or want to listen to someone where QRM is a factor. My K3 can get ridiculously narrow if I need it to (down to 50 Hz, as I recall).

AE8W and NG9F like this.
  5. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a 200-foot loop-on-ground, which is "deafer" to noise than it is to signal. I usually run without either preamp on, and simply turn up the volume a little.

I keep the IC-7200 on CW wide filter almost exclusively. Then I use the MNF (manual notch filter), the RIT and the dual passband tuning to peel away the noise. Works like a charm as long as the noise is on at least a slightly different frequency than the signal.

I've tuned in strong signals, zero-beaten them carefully, and switched down to the narrow CW filter. Every time the signal goes away completely. Considering that I've never liked listening to tight filters, this works for me.

Chuck VE7PJR

6. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for these tips and will try them out.

7. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a 7610, only a FTdx3000, so no help with your filter naming, but you are doing the right thing by trying different settings and learning what 'you' like. Different operating modes call for different settings and no doubt, you will find what you like soon. Good luck.

NG9F likes this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Selecting a Filter
    I have 5 filter widths that I can select with a button push; wide for AM (SWBC listening) 2.4 and 2.0 for SSB or fast tuning across a dead band, looking for signals, 500 Hz for general CW copy without much noise or QRM, 250 for lots of noise and QRM. And an additional audio filter that I have set up for about 80 Hz narrow peak, that works for terrible noise and strong QRM right on top of you.
    You just have to try different settings for different conditions.
    But it's amazing how many ops don't know that a narrower filter helps pull weak signals out of the noise.

NG9F and VK2WP like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I run as wide a filter as conditions allow. That way, I can hear the DX calling 3 KHz away!

I'm getting spoiled, though. When I was using my regenerative receiver most of the time, the "filter between the ears" was working very well. When I first went back to using a conventional receiver, I rarely needed the filter, but as time has gone by, I find myself more and more dependent on it.