CW filter settings- what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NG9F, Sep 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So the 7610 that I got has 3 different filters and I can set the bandwidth and soft or sharp. A friend sent me the QST review, and I see that he mentions changing the settings from 1.2k/500/250 to 1000/350/150. So I did that, and I am pretty sure that will make me a big gun DXer. :) No but really, does anyone have input on these settings? When I send my QRL? I keep it wide, then usually switch it to 350 once I get an answer but frankly I haven't used 150 at all yet.

I have no idea of the difference between a soft or sharp filter- I am a rank beginner with CW, so will I care at all? Still it's fun to play with these menu options.

The QST article also mentions turning IP+ off to increase sensitivity, and I see that that was already done so either it is the factory default or I did it.

VK2WP likes this.
  2. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently purchased a 7610 and have wondered the same thing about the CW filters. Usually use 500Hz and sometime go narrower 250Hz.

Really still trying to get to grips with the filters and the audio peak filter, adjustable gain etc.

The manual is big on how to do things but does not give any explanations or as to why to do things. Nor gives any recommended settings as a starter for a new user.

Messed around a bit with sharp or soft filter and really could not see much difference.
    Again why ?

Will be interested in what other 7610 users have to say.

NG9F likes this.
  3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

sharper filters are beneficial during times of very heavy QRM, say during contests.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had my IC-7600 for 2 1/2 years. I like to search CW with a wide setting of at least 1khz, though I often find this difficult to listen to and will search in SSB, then switch to CW. For general work I prefer a 500 Hz filter if the band is busy. Both of these with 'Soft" setting for ear comfort. For very weak signals or heavy QRM, I will go to 150 Hz. The Audio Peak Filter, APF works quite well, but is kept OFF for searching.

WB5YUZ, VK2WP and NG9F like this.
  5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Q-mulitpliers! Sadly, modern rigs don't have them.

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm usually at 350Hz.
    Best results with using any narrow CW filters are found with adjustment of the I.F. shift, Notch and Passband adjustments which your rig may or may not have.
    150 is vy skinny filter which may not see much use outside of a crowded contest environment.

VK2WP likes this.
  7. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked Q-multipliers, but in 21st Century pileups I prefer being able to continuously narrow the filter width to a few Hertz ... as needed.

8. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

In SDR radios sharp filters come at the cost of increased latency or delay. Which can cause issues with QSK or remote operations. So although they may be beneficial in certain situations they should be used carefully. My Flex 6600M has preset CW filters for 50, 100, 250, 400, 800 & 3000. The filters are also variable. I can also vary the skirts of the filter from very broad to very sharp. The default setting is fairly sharp. -Joe N3HEE

VK2WP and NG9F like this.
  9. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I typically use about 400, sometimes narrow down to 150.. But remember to open up the filter when calling CQ so you don't
    miss someone answering that didnt zero beat you well ... I typically open up to around 900 when calling ...

VK3YE, KA0HCP and VK2WP like this.
  10. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies which give some idea as to how to use the filters. Now to play around with the Audio Pass Filters, Notch Filter and all the rest.

A very capable radio and very pleased with mine.