ad: wmr-1

CW experts, what's your TOP two straight keys currently made today?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AI6DX, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

There IS something about early sixties Vibroplex paddles.

The newer (90's - 2000+) ones definitly feel 'sloppy' to me.

I have several from the 60's, AND several from the late 90's up to about 3 or 4 years ago.

The difference is consistant.

Frank

2. KI4POV

KI4POV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's hard to beat a good J-37. I like the Vibroplex key, but not the price... :D

3. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used lots of keys, but I'll stick by my old German Junker key, it works as smooth as a Swiss watch.

4. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

What revived this 3 year old post??? I dunno, but anything CW is fine with me!! :D :D

5. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think it was KI4POV.

Pretty good too: First post and he figured out the search function. Which is more than I can say for most of the inmates.:D

Bill

6. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

A certifiable resurrection of a thread about an allegedly dead mode?

7. KA4PBQ

KA4PBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

my opinion is bengali simplex mono is my #1 choice over all cw keys
    i own, #2 is speedex brass straight key with black base.
    carl j
    ka4pbq:

8. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only used a handful of keys thus far and my favorite thus far has been the Navy Flameproof from JH Bunnell.

W0AZ likes this.
  9. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

What key is best is a very subjective thing. I have a couple of J-37's and KK-2's, some homebrew jobs, etc. I also picked up a Czech training key and a German K-34 at a hamfest a couple of weeks ago for $25 each, NOS. After getting them adjusted right, they feel about as good as most other SK's I've used. I also picked up a Russian mini key for $15 a year or so ago. It also feels OK, although it's a little small fo rmy liking.

I've mostly been using the Czech key recently when I'm not using a keyer for DX and contests or the J-36 bug for rag chewing.

Walt, W5ALT

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, an olde thread. Anyway, my comments...

I use a Nye 320-001 that works FB. I have it mounted to a piece of 1/8" aluminum that has felt glued to the bottom. Previously, as a Novice (ca 1970), I used an Ameco K-4. It also was FB.

Before anyone poo-poos "the junky Ameco key", there were two. The K-1 is indeed junk. The K-4 met with my instructor/dad's approval. Dad was a retired Navy Radioman.

vy 73 es gud dx,
    Bryan WA7PRC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.