CW Etiquette Question

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5CKS, Dec 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5CKS

K5CKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no Q Signal for "frequency in use". What is the best way to tell an Op that he has jumped into a QSO in progress or an "occupied" frequency? PSE QSY?
    Rory, K5CKS

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There most certainly is a Q code for "frequency in use" - it's QRL

"QRL OM PSE QSY"

Dave
    W7UUU

N2OTG, WB5YUZ, N2EY and 6 others like this.
  3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever looked at a the Q codes in use for hams? QRL according to ITU list means "I am busy do not interfere" .

No it might not strictly mean this frequency is busy but the intention is just the same. "Keep Off/out". Its us is so widespread and its use for the purpose which you require is quite universal, I hear it every time I switch my radio on .

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRL has been the standard in my 45 years as a CW op as "frequency is in use (i.e., I am busy do not interfere)" and as a question, "QRL?" means "is this frequency in use? (i.e., am I interfering with someone who is busy?)"

Dave
    W7UUU

WB5YUZ, N2EY, WD0BCT and 3 others like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, I think thats what I said too?. There's no real difference in what either of us are saying!
    As you can see from K1LKP's post he has quoted the meaning as per the ITCU regs with the comment oon how it is usually used in amateur circles. . QRL has meant to generations of commercial and military operators; " I (the radio operator) am busy", which as you say, its use in amateur radio is the same as saying the frequency is busy. We heard/used it mostly when you called up someone and were told QRL PSE AS 5 or given a turn number by the operator telling you QRL QRY 4, 5, 6 or whatever.

Any way I think it'll be Xmas day when you read this so Have a nice day.

W5BIB and W7UUU like this.
  7. W7UUU

Same wishes to you my friend! I just misread your post - so yes, we're very much on the same page.

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

M6GYU likes this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I generally QRO and send QRL repeatedly briskly about 3 times even during when my QSO partner is sending to me.
    I usually make my point to the errant QRM'er and then I ask my QSO partner to repeat and tell why.
    Having the QSK enabled is good practice...

WB5YUZ likes this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a very important part of CW etiquette to stop sending completely (or QRT) when you hear QRL after your call.

Some hams will send QRL QRT instead of just QRL.

But for any ham who is at all concerned with being a good op, QRL is enough!!!!

Incidentally, some hams will send QRZ? before they start sending. This isn't really correct, but be aware of it and respond, like N8AFT says above, by sending QRL several times.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    M6GYU likes this.
  10. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish there was a way to tell the FT8 ops QRL

WB5YUZ likes this.