CW Encode/Decode ardware/Software "Ethics" question.

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KF4ZEQ, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno, hams survived quite well for a great many years making thousands of contacts in contests before the personal computer showed up or memory keyers!!
    Hand written logs and dupe sheets were kept up at the same time too.

2. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all...

I think some people really just don't get the point....I am currently relearning the Code so I can start using my straight key .........why would I do that if the attitude is just to use the Computer..

let me call a spade a spade.........for me using a computer to send CW or receive CW on the air to make a contact.... Is cheating and not only Cheating its also cheating the other side of the contact who wants to chat with someone using hand and ears...the way it was intended...

John

3. K7MH

I can still use hands and ears. Nothing stopping that just because the other end isn't.
    The way it was intended? Hands and ears was all that was available back when it all got started up. Like or no there are some options now regardless of how well they actually work.
    Should everyone using RTTY go back to teletype machines? After all "glass RTTY has no soul" and that was not the way it was meant to be. Then there is AM vs. SSB, tube vs. solid state, electronic vs. paper logs or QSL's and on and on ad nauseum.

The reality is that there isn't all that much that someone wants to do on the radio that has much of an effect on what I want to do, which is plenty!

4. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

HI all....

SSB vs AM....and the others are just technology advances....they are not changing they way it was meant.....I did not know RTTY could be copied by ear, it was always a machine based mode...so moving to a computer for that was just a technology advancement.....SSB vs AM....different modes and people can enjoy either if they want.....some still like Tubes...that changes nothing....but something that was a hand ear mode many years ago , there is no reason to change that as it can still be done that way..

John

5. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no ethics issue, however I've yet to find a program that will copy real world reliably so unless you are in QSO with another strong signal with no QRM/QRN the ability to copy via PC isn't that great. I'm still amazed that there isn't a better receive program that can copy in bad conditions. Sending via PC is routinely done.

6. K7MH

So why isn't moving from hand/ears with cw to a computer a technological advancement? It seems to me it takes a certain amount of technology designed specifically for that purpose and emulates keyed CW in sending.
    Are memory keyers? Bugs? Paddles and an electronic keyer they require to do anything?:confused:
    Should it be all straight and double speed keys perhaps?:confused:

Myself, I am about 80% or more CW and RTTY.

Same thing with either way of using CW don't you think?:confused:

7. PA0WV

PA0WV Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

You hit the nail,
    Cw is naturally a bad code for machine detection. It is just designed to copy with ears.

Everybody can buy a trx and digital equipment to work any mode with everybody that did the same.
    Then they are "proud" on the possession of the products of the brains of japanese engineers.

However CW requires tedious exercising to master it, which opens the way to communicate with people that did the same. You CAN'T buy proficiency!

When you are tedious exercising in order to compete with equipment it looks like a chess tournament with some people bringing their
    chess computers (very proudly) that demotivates the others and because hams are hidden partners, I feel clearly that it is cheating.

Best weapon is to add QRM to your signal at the transmitting side, but it was so nice that your homebuild nonlinear has 80% in class C instead of 48% in class AB, not to talk about class E with 95% yield.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

And what were the scores like back then?
    I'd be willing to bet there has been at least a 10X (probably low) increase in winning and average scores.
    Nobody sending morse by hand and logging on paper is going to be competitive today.....period.

I have three keys and two electronic keyers in my shack.
    A Speed X straight key, A Vibroplex Original Deluxe, Kent dual paddle, a Logikey K3, and a Winkey USB.
    I use them all when the feeling moves me. I'm considering buying a single lever paddle too.

The bug or straight key are hooked up to my TS-520, through the Logikey, and the paddles are hooked up to my K2/100 through the Winkey.

I fail to understand why someone would get their panty's in a twist over how someone sends morse code when they more than likely can't tell the difference anyway.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  9. K7MH

Thank you. That is my only point.

10. NW0M

NW0M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your comments provoked a couple of thoughts.

Maybe there should be a new contest category named Computer Generated CW since it does create a competitive advantage over manually using a key. It would really be no different than competitive advantages for current categories like High Power vs. Low Power and Assisted vs. Unassisted.

As far as your 48 hours comment, I always considered endurance and proficiency as components of contesting...
    :cool:

Just something to think about....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.