ad: elecraft

CW delay time?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by 2E0LPL, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Rich...makes perfect sense.
    Still not made the start on learning to read...other things to finish off...but it will happen.

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is about comfort level ( personal preference ). That delay between when you stop sending and when you start hearing signals again. With full break-in you can hear between characters you are sending, which is a big help ( for example ) if you are sending traffic and the other person needs to interrupt you. With semi-break in you can't do that as well. If the delay is long then you may miss the beginning of what the other person is sending. If the delay is short you don't miss anything. Once you start doing CW this should become more apparent to you and you can decide for yourself what setting is most comfortable.

K3XR likes this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The time setting of the CW delay depends mostly on your operating speed. A new CW op with 5 WPM will want a much longer delay time than a contester running 35 WPM, that one needs near-instant QSK. Most of my "Rag Chew" QSOs seem to be around 12 to 15 WpM and I like about 2 seconds of lag before returning to Receive.

W9RAC likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you can copy ABC...123 characters by sound, start listening to the receiver, mostly on 40 M between 7110-7125, kHz, (in north America) or wherever the new ops hang out with QRS QSOs in your area..
    When I was starting out, listening to Morse on the air, I wanted to see who was sending and where they were, I was a naturally curious kid !,
    Once I could copy the CQs I went on copying call signs and then finally could tell the names and locations given in Morse !
    Good luck and have fun on CW.

5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I would run 2 sec with a new OP who is wanting to copy at 10ish, 1 sec at 15/17, I am at 20/21 95% of the time, I run 700 ms. Works pretty good for me with a return CW speed of about the same. 73 Rich

6. KJ7GFW

KJ7GFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see this thread. I am a new guy and I too wasn't sure what the CW settings were all about.

I've been using the "full break in" on my FT-891 only because I heard a ham say that it was the best way to set up for CW.

So, not knowing any difference, that's the way I have mine set up.

I may or may not play with the settings just to see the differences.

7. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to take advice on forums with many grains of salt. What is "best" for one op is likely not to be best for you.

Ideally full break-in can be very useful because you can hear between character elements. In reality, different rigs have
    varying QSK systems and each of such systems interfaces differently with other receiver/transmitter characteristics.

Some solid state QSK systems are very quiet but the interaction between the solid state switches and the RX gain
    setup can be noisy. Some ops may find this noise acceptable and others not.

Some relay QSK systems will produce noise in the shack that ops don't like. In addition having relays work hard between every character
    element takes a toll on relay lifetime expectations.

I find that "semi break-in" works for me. I set up my rig so I have a fraction of a second delay (maybe 50ms) after each character
    element is sent before I can receive again. I can easily hear interrupting signals from another station when I'm sending at my
    usual speeds in the 20 wpm range. Relays aren't overworked. I can hear through my sending. The changeover sound isn't annoying.
    That's what I call "best."

KJ7GFW likes this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Full BK IN may be good on the higher frequencies where there is not much noise , but on 80 M at night, for instance, would drive me CRAZY with all the lightning QRN noise between each dit and dah I send, that is where you need to have some T/R delay. !!

KJ7GFW and AD5HR like this.
  9. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the same as hang time when running VOX on SSB. I like full break-in when chasing DX. At times it is easy to keep calling if he answers someone else while you are sending if you cannot hear what is happening on his frequency between dits.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I like the delay provided by the "PTT" output on my K1EL WinKeyer USB (link):
    [​IMG]
    It frees-up the rig's semiautomatic "VOX" delay. :)