CW delay time?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by 2E0LPL, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok guys got it now...some very good clear explanations there thanks for your patience.

Just had a practice on my rig...set it to full as you say...can hear thr relay making and breaking rapidly...didnt like that sound like the relay is bashing its brains out....then set it to a very high 2500....un key and quite a while till I hear the relay switch....the tried 450...seems to suit my present style perfectly.

All understood....

Thank you all again.

AC8UN, W5WTH, W7TCT and 2 others like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That's one thing I don't like either, but there are rigs that use diode switching techniques for QSK and are totally silent when switching back and forth.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On many (probably most) rigs, you can set it to "forever" by just using MOX instead of semi-QSK (which is like VOX for CW).

With MOX, you flip a switch to transmit, and flip it back to receive. The relay(s) only work when you flip the switch.

4. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

My 1985~ish Yeasu had a MOX button, and a VOX (Voice Operated T/R Relay). There was a VOX delay on the back.
    The sole purpose of the VOX Delay was to delay T/R switching so you wouldn't be cut off in the middle of a thought or if on CW sending slower than the VOX Delay was set for. Newer rigs seem to assign different delays for voice and CW.

Like WIX stated, the MOX would activate the T/R relay until unpressed. The Mic button had the same affect.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My K1EL WinKeyer USB (link) doesn't use my rig's semi break-in (VOX) feature. It has its own T/R (aka PTT) output... for up to TWO rigs. The PC USB interface makes it work with all known logger/keyer programs, and K1EL wrote an application that progrems the keyer's default parameters. By itself, it's a VERY nice memory keyer. :)

6. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

For CW, I find that introduces an extra action to forget. Using semi-break-in means slightly fewer possible mistakes. I'll use full-break-in only on my KX3, where the switching is electronic. On my other main rigs (an Icom 7300, a Yaesu 450AT and an Icom 706MkIIG) the relay noise is distracting enough to make full break-in unpleasant. With the 706 I have the delay set quite long, because its relay is loud, and the feer clangs the better...

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is one of many things, that it is more instructive to just try it and see what it does.

K3XR likes this.
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love the 'FULL QSK' of my Tentec Century-22" :) - Even on my Olde Swan-500C w/410C VFO / w/model 22 and a VX-1 VOX Unit I use FULL QSK w/a Johnson T/R unit & a Drake 2-B/2-BQ. For me,... FULL QSK is the only way to operate CW. (YMMV) ;)

W1BR and N8AFT like this.
  9. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly, on relay switched rigs it's nice to have enough CW/VOX delay time so the relays don't constantly chatter between words or characters. You'll find it varies with your keying speed, for instance if you're sending around 20 wpm you can get by with just a bit of CW hang time and the relays won't constantly switch, but if you slow down to work a QRS station at 10 wpm you'll want longer hang time to avoid T/R switching between every word if you utilize the semi-break in keying. Many CW operators run foot switches or other means of manual T/R switching so that you don't have to dial in just the right amount of VOX delay (i.e. CW hang time) as CW keying speed changes to work different operators.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use full QSK a lot also, but it's only effective in contests or when working other QSK ops so they can break in between words to comment.

My main CW rigs are Ten Tecs, which are good QSK rigs. But I also had an old E.F. Johnson electronic T/R switch decades ago and it worked really well. With that, the TX is always connected to the antenna, and the RX is only connected when you let up on the key, and it had no relays; the "switch" was a tube.:p