ad: Schulman-1

Custom Morse Code Wall Plaque

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Howdy folks. Fred, AA7BQ here from QRZ HQ

I wanted to share with you one of my latest creations from the QRZ back room. I have created an engraved wall plaque measuring 16" x 18" and it turned out so well that I had to show it off here.

IMG_3813.JPG
    The plaque was engraved on a CNC router into material known as Chalkboard which is basically 1/4" MDF that is coated with a black, anti-reflective "slate-like" coating. Its very study and will last a lifetime. The engraving goes to a depth of about 1/10 inches and was cut using sharp carbide tools.

IMG_3814.JPG
    Close-up view of the engraving.

IMG_3810.JPG
    The CNC router at work making the plaque shown above.

Right now I'm considering taking a few orders for these since all my friends agree that it makes addition to any ham's home. Let us know if you'd like me to make one for you with your call sign engraved in place of the AA7BQ :)

This will be a limited production run. If the demand is there, we may setup for a larger production. We're offering these at $79.95 including shipping to USA addresses. We are willing to ship these overseas but at this moment we have no idea what the postage charges might be but will update this article when we find out.

Now available for direct ordering: Sorry, sold out.

-fred

P.S. All errors in the posted photo have since been corrected. We'll have a new, updated photo soon....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    N7ANN, W3DJ, KS4TD and 14 others like this.
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are really nice Fred. :)

3. KL4EJ

KL4EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very Cool Prototype.!! Ship to Alaska?

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it looks great and will buy one:)

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Nice!

Dave
    W7UUU

6. YB2TJV

YB2TJV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just thinking about the shipping cost to Indonesia... hmm... nice idea, Fred.. de YB2TJV

(ed note: We are now offering overseas shipping for an additional $10 -fred)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2017
  7. W8QZ

W8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't there a new character for the " @ " in international Morse? (So I've heard - don't know what that is, though.) Maybe add that to the chart?

8. N6KIA

N6KIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred that is a killer CNC router, must have cost 20 G's

9. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice looking. Will you accept PayPal? I was thinking of buying one for the radio club. How many characters will fit on the call sign line?

73, Larry WB8LBZ

(ed note: Yes, we accept PayPal, Credit Cards, and Checks. Order one now at https://ssl.qrz.com/plaques )

10. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

how long will these be available? I want one but also would like to change my call sign as it seems to be all the rage these days...

(ed note: We can leave the call sign out - it is a chalkboard after all :)

11. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait. I ordered one already. I wanted it as it was. Like the upside down stamp, Worth a fortune. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

K9ASE and KA0HCP like this.
  12. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

You made an excellent job, Fred! Now everyone will feel like learning Morse code with that. If I could afford it, I would consider to have one.

73's.

13. W3EA

W3EA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sweet count me in ... let me know the details ...

Wayne W3EA

14. KF5DDA

KF5DDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a CNC Machinist..
    The machines have a mind of their own.
    Nice Work !
    Kelly KF5DDA

15. N6KIA

N6KIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok Fred, Payment sent. Looking Forward to seeing it hanging in my shack.