ad: portazero-1

Custom Coax Cables for Your Station

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K8KSU, Sep 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5RYH

N5RYH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be nice to be able to order custom cables. But usually when I need a cable I need it now not tomorrow. So I usually just keep spare accessories to build my own.

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

It Don't mean a thing, If you Aint Got that swing....
    Ymmv

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow - an amazing amount of passion stirred up by a discussion of build-your-own vs. ready-made cables. I'm disappointed by the level of intolerance in so many of the posts. Who are all these self-appointed judges of what constitutes an "authentic" ham? Ham radio is a HOBBY - something we do for fun. Each of us has his/her own reasons and motivations. Everyone's story is different. As for me, I became a ham a year ago at the age of 60. I had been an SWL as a kid and was always intrigued by what I perceived to be the magic of radio. Put up a wire and hear stations thousands of miles away. Amazing. I built a few Heathkits as a kid but never had any particular mechanical or technical skill with radio. I recognize that I could have chosen to develop these skills, and also acquire greater knowledge of electronics, but I didn't. My life went in other directions. I did other things that were productive and required skill and effort. Decades later, at 60, I decided to get back into radio as a ham. I had no desire to home-brew; just wanted the thrill of being on the air. Got my license, and then a couple of months later decided I wanted to learn CW. Now I am almost exclusively CW and have my copying speed up to around 20 WPM - which to my mind, for someone who learned code at 60, is as much of an achievement as soldering a PL-259 onto a piece of coax (for those of you keeping score).

K1SK, KM6POA, N5RYH and 1 other person like this.
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people just don't learn that it's not good to solder PL-259 connectors wearing Synthetic pants....
    Ymmv

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Get. A. Grip. FGS.

N5RYH and AK5B like this.
  6. WN1MB

Uh oh...

AK5B likes this.
  7. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if this news item is serving its intended purpose.

8. WN1MB

I, for one, hope it's not.

I trust you innocently omitted quotation marks around "news" - because this sure isn't a news item; it's clearly an advertisement.

K2NCC and AK5B like this.
  9. KZ5R

KZ5R Subscriber QRZ Page

Big advertising money gets what they want regardless of policy.

10. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your assumption was correct. ;)

AK5B likes this.
  11. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wont say wich antenna company it was,but they do advertise if you want a custom antenna is to ask. I wanted them for an estimate on a 18 element 440mhz beam for fm repeaters. There quote was 2200 dollars. I did ask them if they were smoking dope?
    About as bad as that price for making coax jumpers.

12. WN1MB

Did they answer or plead The 5th Amendment?

KD8DEY and W4YEM like this.
  13. W4YEM

W4YEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's DX-Engineering cable, that means it's got extra electrons pre-added ;)

14. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny how I upgraded my membership for AD FREE pages. So to get around the AD FREE PAGES they label the ADVERTISEMENT as news. Really QRZ.com???? There is plenty of NEWS out there that you could publish rather than prostituting yourselves to DX Engineering. I love their company but you PAY for what you get. I was going to say you get what you pay for which is accurate but you really pay.

WN1MB likes this.
  15. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would edit my last post but I looked at who originally posted the video about DX Engineering. She is an employee of DX Engineering!!! "Most recently in 03/2014, I began working exclusivly for DX Engineering" is a quote from her QRZ.COM biography. If I post and advertisement for retirement will it make the news on QRZ???? I told my dog I could post without profanity. Ha! I was right.!!!!