Cushcraft R8 - Bend the Radials?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K6AUR, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6AUR

K6AUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am mounting a Cushcraft R8 in a space-constrained location (the only spot available in my QTH.) The base of the antenna will be about 12 feet above ground level, on a pole fastened to a tilt-over base.

One or two of the 7 radial wires that surround the base of the antenna will be close to or over the property line. To avoid irritating my neighbor, I would like to permanently bend those radials (which are about 4 feet long) by 45 to 60 degrees a foot or so from their ends.

Is this likely to have a significant effect on the antenna's performance? If so, are there any steps I can take to offset any degradation?

Would it make sense to bend all of the radials at the same angle, to maintain a uniform spacing between them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done that accidentally. bent a radial n my R7, no difference in performance that I could find. Go ahead. Good luck - the radials are spring steel and want to spring back!

3. RW4HFN

RW4HFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Disconnect these 1-2 radials... There will be no difference.

4. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it will not affect the performance, but it might change the resonant frequency. In that case you just have to retune. The radials are 1/3 of the antenna.

Tom

K3RW and AK5B like this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

"I suggest bending your neighbor instead."

AK5B, SPCA President
    (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Antennas)

RW4HFN likes this.
  6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bending the radials a foot from the end should be basically irrelevant.

AK5B likes this.
  7. RW4HFN

imgonline-com-ua-2to1-C7C7zfdLKOwc.jpg Modeled the situation in MMana. When bending two 4' radials at half of their length UP under 45 - the frequency at 20m goes UP 16kHz. DOWN - DOWN 21kHz.
    Better - one up, the other down. The resonance frequency varies very slightly down.
    Ideally, one under 60 up, two adjacent - down under 45.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    K3RW and AK5B like this.
  8. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remove them, put somewhere safe for future use, replace them with some aluminum wire you can bend so as not to annoy the neighbor. Maybe something like that?

K6CLS likes this.
  9. RW4HFN

Files.

Attached Files:

• R8.zip
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021