ad: Flexradio-1

Cushcraft R-8 or Hy-Gain AV-640?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4BIX, Oct 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. W4BIX

W4BIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an extremely limited space in which to set up an antenna in the backyard and I am on a very limited budget...so towers are out of the question. I am installing a 10' 4x6 post as a base mount for a vertical antenna and using 10-20 foot aluminum masts to attach the antenna to. No space for ground radials...so I've been looking at the R-8 or the AV-640 for 40-6 meter band coverage. Yes I know, these are compromise antennas...but I gotta work with what limited space I have.

Any opinions on either of these....or something else? Thanks in advance.

2. WR1O

WR1O Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

R8 FTW

K6CLS likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never installed an R8, but installed several R7s years ago and the R7 was very good.

If the R8 follows in that legacy, it's probably also very good.

4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently (due to a change in QTH and other priorities preventing a tower in the immediate future) bought and installed (ground mounted with the 3 required counter poise wires) a GAP Challenger. 80-2 meters with the exception of 17 meters. I am favorably impressed with it. I have also used an R 8 in the past at a friend's QTH. I would rate them as equal. No experience with the AV 640