Cushcraft ar-10 problems

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W3TEZ, Nov 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, those assembly errors CAN and DO Occur.
    ==
    The Traps on my Cushcraft R-7 were assembled UPSIDE DOWN by Radio Amateurs at a club Field Day setup a decade ago. They had the antenna instructions, and I showed them TWICE how to quickly assemble the four (4’) sections.
    I color-coded with tape ... BUT that Did NOT help (could not match colors).

KC9ONY likes this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That doesn't matter. What DOES matter is the position of the tap, relative to the radiator & ground ends of the ring/inductor:
    Swapping the ends of the ring/inductor or moving the tap point has the same effect.

3. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps they were all color blind; it does happen. ;) I am only partially being facetious here; my cousin would actually be a qualified and licensed commercial airline (747) pilot now if he wasn't color blind.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

My high school classmate in Electronics Lab was red-green color blind. A useful lesson in other methods to determine resistor and capacitor values.

Over a decade ago, I worked with a British executive on some projects. After about ten minutes, preparing an client presentation, he asked me to select proper colors for the client. He was relieved that I understood difficulties with color-blindness (Life Lessons 35 years earlier).

w9gb

NH7RO likes this.
  5. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have/had both the AR-10 & AR-6 and I find both of poor quality and. PITA to get to operate correctly. The key to getting these turned is to play with the matching stub. Make up a spare or two with 75 ohm cable and trim small pieces off to try to walk the SWR in. I scrapped the 10 meter one and went with the Hy-Gain SPT-500. A much better antenna and easy to to tune. I am scrapping the AR-6 this spring once I get it off the tower.

6. WA7PRC

My AR-10's tuning was close enough w/ the suggested settings. I later reworked some mechanical cheesiness (see post #20). :)

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an AR6 many years ago and worked 6 M FM Simplex, out to 100 miles quite often, and a few local mobile ops whe were on the air often.
    I had it mounted to a 20 ft TV mast tied to a cyclone fence in the back yard. Ran 100 W.
    Anyway, it was a chore getting the SWR down but I managed, BUT after a few years it just QUIT working. High SWR, no reception. I ran a new coax line to it, loosened, cleaned and re-tightened all connections. My last guess is that plastic insulatror went bad !

8. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice! You did a great job, even put shrink tubing with hot melt. Sadly you shouldn't have to do that when you pay good money to the manufacturer and expect to set it and forget it. Today's Cushcraft isn't the same as it was back in the 70s when they paid attention to detail and actually cared about their product.

9. WA7PRC

That's only a tiny party of it. I changed the cheesy UHF connectors and made a bunch of other improvements. :)
    In the 70s, I sold 'em over the counter and don't recall any issues w/ 'em. But then, I barely recall the 70s. :p