Cushcraft ar-10 problems

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W3TEZ, Nov 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W3TEZ

W3TEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Increasing the height makes the swr better closer to 10 meters, the 1:1 I talked a about was at 30.300mhz and the antenna fully extended as far as it would go where you cannot go any longer

2. W3TEZ

The closest swr reading I’ve had so far is a 1:1 on 30.300mhz that’s with the antenna itself fully extended where you cannot extend it any longer and also is a 1.3-1.4 on 29.600, and at the lowest on the rest of 10m is a 2.5 or higher. If you set the antenna up lengthwise in any of the configurations depicted in the assembly instructions it will be over a 5:1 swr on 10 meters

3. W3TEZ

Pic of tuning table

Attached Files:

4. KA2PVT

KA2PVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings I installed an AR 10 earlier this year. SWR is 1.2 at 28 Mhz and under 2 at 27 and 29 MHZ. Antenna is on a 20 ft mast. Works well on 10 and 11 Mtrs. Looking at your picture of the tuning ring assembly, you have the tuning rod on the wrong side of the ring. It must connected to the ring half which is closest to the grounded end. Measure the vertical section as per the instructions, then adjust the tuning rod for lowest set. Have fun

NH7RO and W1VT like this.
  5. KA2PVT

KA2PVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Adjust tuning rod for lowest SWR. Hate spell check.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Antenna mount matters with the Cushcraft Ringo vertical antennas.
    Non-conductive Masts (Fiberglass, PVC, Carbon-fiber, etc.) ILL-ADVISED

Ringo antennas work best when mounted on 10 foot metal mast (aluminum or galvanized steel),
    typically 1.25” or 1.5” outside diameter (O.D.).

Rohn # 161005GHS : 10 foot, 1.25”, 16 Gauge, Hot-Dipped Galvanized Steel.
    https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/roh-161005ghs

Penninger Radio : 1.5” Aluminum Masts, various thickness and length
    https://www.penningerradio.com/product-category/1-5-od-masts/

gb

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    AI3V and NH7RO like this.
  7. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Good eye.
    I think I did that once on a ar-6

NH7RO likes this.
  8. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you look at the factory pictures, it appears you may have the top/bottom parts of the ring reversed. As you travel around the ring clockwise, you should be going downhill, but you are going uphill. I think.

N1DQQ likes this.
  9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

10 feet you say....;)

Rege

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

According to your three photos showing it, the tap point on the ring is WAY too high. The ring is an autotransformer (tapped inductor) that transforms the 50Ω feedline impedance up to the impedance at the bottom of the radiator (around 1000Ω to 2000Ω). The coax stub is used as a capacitor that resonates the inductor/ring. The feedline needs to connect to the ring very close to the cold (grounded) end of the ring. Schematically, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

This is mine, after I improved the cheesiness:
    [​IMG]
    (click for yuuge image)
    I didn't care for the crappy UHF jacks, and other items.