Currently available D-Star HTs

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by K6WU, Feb 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K6WU

K6WU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm interested in D-Star and have been looking into purchasing an HT. However I can't find any on the major internet vendors. I see some are taking reservations for the not-yet-released Icom ID-52A. This seems odd to me that you can't buy a new D-Star HT. Am I mistaken?

2. VE3TSV

VE3TSV Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct, there are no current HTs available with D-Star. The Icom ID-52 release date has been delayed, so who knows when this will be available. The only other option is the Kenwood TH-74a, but it has been discontinued, and no word from Kenwood if it will even be replaced.

3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

A fire at an IC factory in Japan is responsible for both of those radios being unavailable, the Icom temporarily (and who knows for how long) and the Kenwood permanently.
    At this point the best you can do is watch the Swapmeet section for used ones, they do turn up frequently.

4. KD7MW

KD7MW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The UHF-only ID-31, used, is an economical alternative. Perfect if your area has no 2 meter D-Star repeaters, or you only want to use it with a hotspot. Watch the classifieds.

5. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

D-Star is dead. It is been dying a slow and painful death for some time now.

6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious. D-Star is the one digital voice mode on which I can always find people to talk to.

That said, Brandmeister and AmericaLink are quite busy if you count nothing but tonnes of consecutive keydowns as busy.

KC2FQ and WW2PT like this.
  7. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

There will be many opinions on this, and none are globally right or wrong as it's based on individual experience. If you don't have any local repeaters for a particular mode and you don't do hotspots then it will appear dead.
    My experience is that D-Star is far from dead and we have an active group around here. But that's not what this thread is about anyway-

8. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It actually is. The fact of the matter is that these various radio vendors have attempted to create their own digital standards, and have failed miserably. In the case of D-Star, Icom and Kenwood are pretty much the only players. Fusion is Yaesu. You are therefore extremely limited in the amount of equipment that is out there. With DMR, however, you have literally dozens of companies, commercial gear, etc.

You have a digital standard with not nearly the number of users, you have a tiny number of radio manufacturers, and that is why D-Star HTs are hard to come by. It is actually very simple.

9. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

The D74A is available again from Kenwood, but HRO and Gigaparts are selling them at an astronomical price.

Icom started shipping the ID-52 in Japan again in late February. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in April or May in the US.

WW2PT likes this.
  10. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two manufacturers have chose to create their own standard: Yaesu with Fusion(tm) and Kenwood with NXDN(tm) [not specifically in amateur radio space].

Icom and Kenwood (amateur radio) chose to employ an open standard: D-Star. In the case of Icom, this was undertaken before there was any such thing as DMR. They have put a lot into it, and can see why they wouldn't change horses mid-stream.

Anyone who wished to could manufacture a D-Star radio, same as DMR.