Current Status of 10m CW?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K4ADL, Sep 12, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K4ADL

K4ADL Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering going back to my 10 meter roots, but I am wondering if there is ANY cw activity these days. Askng because I’ve nothing on that band at the moment. Thanks and 73, K4ADL.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ummm, if nobody gets on the band, there is no activity. :)

10m has activity and it has DX. It's not rip roaring, but the activity is there.

Pay attention to solar indexes, gray line and target area time of day.

Antenna makes a big difference any time, but especially in this solar low. Think directional, think high, think gain. A tri-band Yagi is still a worthwhile investment.

3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

The higher bands suffer from an interesting propagation phenomenon known as Non-Contest Blackout. It happens every 11 years or so, when these bands go completely dead unless it’s a major contest weekend.

K3RW likes this.
  4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder how many other people are sitting there wondering why there's no activity that they can hear? Hmm, wonder what you could do about that...

5. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

Transequatorial openings occur often on 10 meters pretty much regardless of the solar cycle. Listen for South America in the late afternoon. It's there pretty much every day.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen for Beacons !
    E-layer openings in late summer and mid winter. I worked a lot of 10 and 12 M CW , you know the band is opening when you start hearing the Beacons that are transmitting 24/7 between 28.2 and 28.3 MHz ! They are all over the US and the world.
    I even had a Rad Shack 10 M mobile radio, with it's own antenna, sitting here to monitor a favorite beacon freq when I was in the shack.

7. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck with beacons, just go to 11 meters ( CB ) and if you hear a lot of Heterodyne, then 10 this open. It has not been a favorite CW sub band with all the hackers/ CB'ers
    operating there. Get worst each cycle. It is fun to call on an empty band, and get an answer. Like fishing in a mud hole and catching a fish !

8. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

The 10-10 folks have a daily sched at 1900Z on 28.380 also. The beacons run QRP, these folks run some power. I hear some USB on there right now (3 December, 18:50Z), but they're right at the noise level. Using a ringo-ranger at 10 feet.

I occasionally fish on 28.050 with an automated CQ every 15 seconds. It's been months since that fishing hole has produced any fish.

9. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

10m is not as good as it was in the old days, when the sun was in Dalmatian (spotted) mode, but it has its moments. I was able to work the fairly recent 5K0K and the VP6R dxpeditions on 10m with 100 watts and a wire.

There's some good advice above with regard to beacons and 11m. I'll add, watch the DX clusters and listen for any activity around the FT8 water hole around 28.074 Mhz. If 10m is open at all, you'll hear the signals from the FT8 crew.

KW6LA likes this.