Current QRP CW Rig

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8EDC, Aug 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all of the comments!

No, I'm not using a tuner....I simply fold the antena (1/2 WEF) to the correct length per my RigExpert meter, the SotaBeams linked dipole doesn't seem to need anything.

Great looking setup KE8OKM!

Mark KD8EDC

KE8OKM likes this.
  2. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My SOTA rig. 29oz.

upload_2021-8-31_9-23-7.png

WD4ELG, N4FZ, US7IGN and 3 others like this.
  3. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Im using the 3b with EFHW antenna. Its set up to fit in an old portable hard drive case. Still using Nimh batteries. The lithium stuff sorta scares me!

flightdeck.jpg

WD4ELG, N4FZ, US7IGN and 4 others like this.
  4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Been fighting with an SW40+, gave up and put on the air and first q was NH to IL with a 559, so it must be working just fine with its 2 watts. Made another several q’s this evening, tickled at how well this rig works. Debating if I want another in this series for 20m or buy the KD1JV tribander instead.

W5ESE, US7IGN and KD7ICW like this.
  5. KD7ICW

KD7ICW Ham Member QRZ Page

My current QRP rig is a Ten Tec 1340. It was built back in 1998.

I just wish that I had started earlier in this hobby and had been able to have grabbed a Ten Tec kit to try and build myself!

N8RKD likes this.
  6. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I built this A&A rig back in the ‘90s and use it when I’m going to carry a radio away from the car:

[​IMG]

… and I use this Alinco DX-70 set at 5w and run it off of the car battery when I can park the car close to where I’m operating:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both radios have been with me for years, and I’m rather fond of them. The Alinco is actually a surprisingly capable rig. For years, I worked Field Day, Battery Operated QRP with my Elmer (W9KV) using the Alinco. Good memories. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    W5ESE, US7IGN, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not a QRP Op. however the frequencies I hang out on seem to be attractive to them sine I work a couple every morning. That actually looks like I could be fun! Nice setup, 73 Rich

KD8EDC likes this.
  8. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice portable set up. What antenna do you use normally while operating remote? 73 Rich

9. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

With the 20m A&A I use a hamstick mounted on a tripod with some radial wires on the ground (the radials are still coiled up in this picture):

[​IMG]

For multi-band operation with the Alinco on Field Day we usually put up a doublet where we had trees and used a tuner.

KD8EDC and US7IGN like this.
  10. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Elecraft K1 here.
    It's a shame they discontinued it as it was about as close to a Heathkit as one could get. A pleasure to build, you even got to wind the toroids.
    Understandable, though. The KX2 and KX3 made it obsolete. The K2 is still being offered for those who want a challenging build.
    [​IMG]

W5ESE and W0AZ like this.