Current QRP CW Rig

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8EDC, Aug 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All!

Just thought I'd drop a picture of my current QRP Rig. It consists of an LNR Precision MountainTopper 5B, an EBL 9v Rechargable Li Ion battery, and a Begali Adventure Double paddle. The paddle is affixed in operating position to a piece of sheet metal glued to the stained board, and the battery is connected to the rig using a homebrew 9v to PowerPole power cable.

I use this with a SpiderBeam pole, and either a SotaBeams LInked Dipole on 40/20, or an EndFedz EFT-MTR 40m/30m/20m tri-band antenna. Works wonderfully!

Mark KD8EDC[​IMG]

W1BR, N4FZ, PU2OZT and 5 others like this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

My battery of this type is making terrible noises. :(

W9RAC, M6GYU and KE8OKM like this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI MARK,

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR TOP NOTCH QRP SET UP....... BRAVO...........

HAVE FUN OUT THERE ON UR "SOTA" EVENTS.

BE SURE TO GIVE THE ZEDDERS A HEADS UP PRIOR TO VENTURING
    OUT ON A SOTA.

ALSO, CONGRATS ON UR FB WORK UR DOING WID THE CW OPS GROUP.
    MY NUMBER IS CW OPS # 724

LIKE I LUV CW & CFO.jpg

W9RAC, PU2OZT, KE8OKM and 1 other person like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Really cool.

I have a KX2 but actually prefer the Xiegu G90 for QRP portable ops (so far) because it's more versatile and if there's enough battery power available it can run 20W (if need be). To conserve the battery when operating portable, I often crank it down to about 2W on CW and that amazingly "gets through" about 50% of the time, which surprised me! The 20W gets through more like 80-90% of the time but runs the battery down much faster.

KD8EDC and WD4ELG like this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had some 8 AH storage batteries I used with my MFJ Cub for 40M and a MFJ9030 on camping trips.
    They would last all weekend after an overnight charge before the trip.
    Fairly light and rather small for easy packing .
    Amazing what I could work with 3 or 5 W and a dipole tossed into trees.

KE8OKM, W5ESE and US7IGN like this.
  6. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KX3 With N0SA paddles and some sort of wire antenna here for camping and POTA activations and contesting from the field.

I use a little USB powered MORTTY keyer for contest.

Normal battery is a 3 AH $24 Amazon gizmo. I do have a 20 AH lifepo4 which can handle 100W POTA or a full weekend of QRP Contesting. Computer power is actually my limiting factor in contesting from no power locations. At best, 12 hours and all my laptop batteries are dead.

I am 100% CW when portable, so some of the features more modern radios have beyond VFO and mode info to a logger are not important to me.

Jim KF9VV

US7IGN and KD8EDC like this.
  7. KD8EDC

Thanks very much for your kind comments! Yes, I enjoy helping with CWOps very much.

Mark KD8EDC

8. KD8EDC

I have the KX3 line, and I often take the KX3 out when I want to do both CW/SSB work. For some reason, tho, it's just cooler with the MT5B....LOL.

Mark KD8EDC

9. KD8EDC

When I have my KX3 out, I use my Bioenno 3Ah battery. I can also use that (with a Buck converter to step down the V) with my MT5B.

Mark KD8EDC

10. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

MTR4BV2 and SW3B. Love them both!
    Trail-Friendly 10-20-40 Ant set up as Sloper over tree branches. Still working on perfecting the Morse code.

Are you using any type tuner? I’m debating about it.

504E012C-2A1F-4B28-B388-71F7D8F0387B.png 963F3FB1-57A9-4429-8195-13E732BF44A3.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    N4FZ likes this.