Current production mini/portable iambic keys?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K1GC, Aug 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is easily done. See my post 4 up from yours.

K1GC likes this.
  2. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks I had missed that.

3. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K1GC

I have one of those and it is still fairly large with the base it has. I emailed Joseph after getting one, as it seems like a design that could easily be reduced in size with just a different base option, not to mention the possibility of reducing the size of the housing and paddles. He reported that he was already working on a smaller design, and I plan to get one to support the effort. The paddle of his that I have performs very well.

W4WVW likes this.
  5. AJ6KZ

Just in case anyone was wondering about the mods I made to the AM Porta Paddle, here is an image with the location and size of screws I used. I would have preferred to use set screws in the back as well, but I at the store they didn't have any non-stainless steel set screws and of course SS is non-magnetic.

Don't forget to loosen the tiny set screws that lock the adjustment screws into place before you try to remove them. You'll need a 0.050 hex wrench.

IMG_4333.jpg

K1GC likes this.
  6. K1GC

Thanks a bunch for sharing that. Are the front screws you used the type with the recessed hex end? Looks like they probably are.

7. AJ6KZ

Good question. Yes, they are hex. I always use hex socket bolts unless there is a compelling reason not to.

Also, I neglected to mention why I replaced the back two bolts. I found that the stock bolts did not get close enough to the magnet for my taste. I wanted a much "springier" return. :)

K1GC likes this.
  8. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I bought one.

The tension and contact spacing are adjustable, but it cannot be adjusted for the nice magnetic "feel" of the AME Ultra Porta Paddle. They are entirely functional and key cleanly and consistently, but the mechanism is primitive.

However, I found out it can be mounted with 2-sided tape to the inside edge of an 1150 Pelican box, just to the right of my MTR-4B. With the paddles retracted, the lid closes nicely. With the paddles extended, they are easily manipulated while I balance the box in my lap.

If you plan on extended operating on a picnic table and are not looking at 30 minutes on a summit, I'd take the Begali Traveler. This very nice portable key weighs a pound or so, and is, of course, priced around $270. If you change the plastic paddles for aluminum ones, it feels almost like a Begali Magnetic Classic or Simplex, except it is much easier to pack.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Mini Key is A Problem
    Not a keyer paddle BUT...I decided to built the Morse express mini key.
    The problem now is it's TOO SMALL to use well.:eek:
    my hands must be too big for it , I could not get over about 10 WPM without lots of errors.
    I can send 20 WPM with my ancient J38 , just fine and even faster, maybe 35 WPM, with my Vibroplex Champ :rolleyes:

10. AJ6KZ

I hope to catch you on the air. Please use your Morse Express mini key. ;-)