Current most desired / best selling HT's??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the current most desired / best selling HT's and WHY? Looking into buying one! 73

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? For what band are you interested?

3. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The best selling is an probably an easy one, but I’m not going to open up that can of feng.

W4KYR, K9ASE, K7MH and 1 other person like this.
  4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not buy the HT that does what YOU need it to do? I love my HX-370, but it is really a niche idea to use one as a ham radio.
    By sheer numbers, the under-40$ Chinese radios probably sell more than any. I have one and it works OK. It is worth what I paid for it for sure, but it isn't the best radio around. If you need a radio that can get stolen or lost or smashed without bothering you, that is the deal right there ;)

K9ASE likes this.
  5. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best selling? Probably the CCRs (Cheap Chinese Radios) in large part due to the low cost of acquisition and wide distribution.

Most desired? My pick would be the Kenwood TH-D74A if someone else is footing the bill and giving it to me. Nice large display and DStars capability.

I should note that I purchased an old, used Icom IC-T7H off of eBay to use as my HT and have been happy with it.

6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Oiy!
    Here we go again -- yet another basically "what's the best" thread.

You'll get as many opinions as there are radios and posters on this (or any other) forum.

Never mind what anybody/everybody else buys.

What are YOUR needs/desires?

What band(s) will you operate?
    Single, dual or triband?
    What size/weight?
    What output power?
    What battery life?
    What accessories?
    How easy to program?
    Programming software/cable available?
    Preferred country of manufacture?
    New or used?
    Price range?

Do some research!!

Go to the manufacturers websites.
    Read the specs.
    Read in-depth reviews in the QST on-line archive (worth the price of ARRL membership just for that!)
    Read user reviews at eHam.net
    Join a local club; see if any members are using the rig(s) you're considering at let you try them.

Asking "what's the most desired (best)" here gets you nowhere! ;)

WU8Y likes this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a TH-d74 that i used in my car for local FM repeater. I just sold it b/c I need a mobile rig - i dont uise DSTAR or APRS so the TH-d74 was overkill.

I am going to buy something else; not an HT... but if I were I would not buy a chinese radio. My track record for picking them out on the air based on audio is 100% - they sound terrible.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no one (or one in a million) answers. It all depends upon what you want the H-T to do, at a certain price point.
    IF you are a "newbie," (no insult meant) then yes, the "Chinese" (Baofeng, Woxun, etc.) may be an entry point. But if your interest increases, you may well want to get:

1 A HF radio, preferably HF through 6 Meters; so you can use and grow in the listening and use of HF on bands available. LISTENING can be anywhere, but transmitting woulds be limited to 10 Meters (by power and frequencies, as well as SSB only; FCC rule) on HF. You would have full use (and full power) on 6 Meters and above.

2. If your current H-T works for you, probably nothing needs to be done. Otherwise, a more robust H-T might be considered, from one of the "YaeComWood" (Yaesu, ICOM, Kenwood) stables, that MAY BE more reliable, long term than the inexpensive H-T's. (Note, I do not necessarily say "cheap." Inexpensive, YES. But many of the name brand radios are made in the same factories in China as the "el cheapo" radios now on the market. QC may make the difference.

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some are waterproof, some are not.
    Some are rated for use in areas with possible explosive gases. If you do your ops from a tanker or a coal mine this could be nice to have.
    Some do 220 MHz, some do 1.2 GHz and some do 6 meters. Some are restricted to ham bands and some are not. Some receive VHF-AM airband and some receive FM broadcast band.
    Some do various digital voice modes and some do not. Some have APRS and some do not. Some have a GPS and some do not.

I suspect the typical buyer gets a $40 CCR, gets on the local repeaters, discovers no one else is on them, and throws the thing in the closet :rolleyes:
    My Standard-Horizon HX370 needs a programming cable to set the frequencies, there is no field programming it at all, but I can leave it in a bucket of water and then hammer a nail in with it and it will still work. My CCR can just be replaced if it falls in the water or gets used as a hammer.

10. W9RLG

W9RLG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anybody have the where with all to do research on their own anymore?? Dang, every week three or four time a week the same question!! Come on folks if you got a computer you can search for yourself!! Oh, flame me, If some of you would actually study the material instead of just the questions you would learn something!! At least you would be informed what to look for in a radio!!!

Bob

NH6MA, W5TTP and KY5U like this.