Current (2016) Technician Exam Study

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WX6RST, Jan 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WX6RST

WX6RST Ham Member QRZ Page

My recently acquired XYL (4 years in February) has dug her heels (and toes, and everything in between) in and just flat has a "thing" about anything that has electrons moving rapidly.

I'm trying to find some study course that won't treat her like a complete dummy (she has her Masters in the medical field), but not so intense that it tries to explain the fine details of every little question.

The "Wonder Woman's Guide To Ham Radio", if you will. Just the questions, the answers, and a BRIEF explanation as to why that is the correct answer. Trying to memorize all the countries in each ITU area is not what I'm looking for.

I did a search of this group, and most of the links from half a dozen years ago are dead. And I know there are a couple of you-tube series on the subject, but I haven't seen one yet that drills directly to the subject without wandering off into more detail than I think will keep her interest.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jim
    WX6RST (Weather 6 Readability, Strength, Tone)
    (Formerly WN6BHI, WB6BHI)

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never looked into a paid course of study, basically because I didn't need to. But I have looked at several practice test sites, and some different formats for the presentation of the 426 current Tech questions.

Thinking about your question, this is a site known to me that came to mind. There is a clickable area for every question where you can read a brief explanation provided by fellow hams why the indicated answer is the correct one. You have to register to use it I believe (I am registered). It was quick, easy and free. I am curious to know what you think of it. If you do find it useful, they do accept donations.
    https://hamstudy.org/

I also like this presentation style of ALL the questions for EVERY current license class exam (1,600 questions total) for Tech, General and Extra). Free download, Windows ONLY.
    http://www.n3fjp.com/amateurstudy.html

I assume you are already familiar with several practice test sites. They offer some minor differences in the test experience. Good luck in the quest to bring her into the service.

K4RKY and CALL_SIGN_TBD like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Both the ARRL and W5YI study guides are good preps for the exam. They aren't text books however. You can use them to review the exam questions and then for any subjects that you don't understand, use the many web resources or text books.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KB6NU has a great study guide which sounds like just what you're looking for - http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

He calls them his "No Nonsense" study guides, and they are fairly concise, while still explaining the material. His Tech guide was free last time I looked.

5. WX6RST

WX6RST Ham Member QRZ Page

KB6NU's stuff is a little technical for the beginner. His Extra stuff is excellent.

6. ROBERT606

ROBERT606 QRZ Member