Curious about Linux? Try it with out installing it.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Jan 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You probably have to go into the bios to get it to boot a USB stick. I just did this, and had to do that. It's a little different nowadays, "UEFI" bios that are very, very biased toward booting Windoze. On our Acer laptop, it reverts to booting the harddrive after every shutdown, so if you want to boot the stick, you have to tweek the bios first.

BTW, no manual config of anything needed with ubuntu 18.04. You just make a USB stick using "rufus" and the disk image from ubuntu website, set your bios to boot it, boot it, and "grub" runs, giving you a choice of boot from the stick, or install ubuntu to the harddrive. Everything (like gnome and all that) is totally configured once you finally boot the finished system.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can run it in VMWare Workstation Player ... for free.

3. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When boot Ubuntu off the CD, one of the icons on the desktop is "Install Ubuntu" --- hadn't noticed that before. Running this brings you into the install routines which allow you to completely install the OS on an internal hard disk as best as I can tell. As soon as I get a new disk in the machine I will report back how well that goes and if there are any glitches. Seems pretty straightforward, actually.

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Or in VirtualBox, also for free.

It's a good way to get used to the software without giving up Windows, or messing with dual-boot. (*) It also lets you try several different Linux distributions simultaneously and compare them to each other. Since the OS is "installed" in the VM, you don't lose your state or files between boots of the Linux guest.

(*) I have done many dual-boot machines, and I haven't yet lost a Windows installation by adding Linux on a second drive to the same PC.

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've also used dual boot machines.... and have decided that I don't care for them. I've had fewer problems with single OS systems, either WIN7 or Linux. The installation and boot-up is simpler, and there are fewer file / software compatibility issues.

I've not yet seen a Win10 / Linux dual boot.... so I can't comment on those.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm finding that just running Linux on the PC by itself is also the best way to go. Any other OS I might want gets put into a VM, and the VirtualBox support for things like USB is very good. So if I need to program a radio using software that only supports one OS -- no problem. :)

It makes backups crazy-simple, too.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I used VMWare in my Linux class (Fedora 28 inside VMWare inside Win10). It works... for a while. Then you just have to delete and reload.

I've always found it best to only/always load *one* OS on a hard drive. That always works the best. Any time I try to "dual boot" or use a virtual system, it always has issues eventually.

Using VMWare is an excellent tool to try an OS for a little while. Changes are saved. Better than trying the "live" system where changes are not saved.

In the server world, using a virtual system makes life a lot easier. But they don't use the free ones.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    KK4NSF likes this.
  8. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, one OS per drive is good. No reason you can't dual boot however, just get two hard drives.

The problem with virtual machines for ham radio apps is that many ham radio apps need to control somewhat specialized hardware. This does not usually work with a virtual machine. For example, my VNA which runs over USB will not run in Windows when it is in a virtualbox container.

One way to get the best of both worlds is to have two drives with each OS; with this setup it is possible to run Windows through virtualbox (Linux host) using the actual Windows physical disk drive. You can also reboot into Windows when you need the full hardware compatibility.

Tor
    N4OGW

9. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides VirtualBox there is also Qemu which I am moving to since Debian is no longer providing VB in its archive. Yes, I've tried VB from Oracle and it's not integrated into the Debian kernel upgrade scripts and since I'm lazy I'm switching to Qemu. As an added bonus Qemu is much faster.