ad: Flexradio-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that. And let me just correct up front, I miss-spoke on the Woodpecker. I know it was designed as over horizon radar but tangentially used for interference. It was a byproduct of trying to get the video out quickly.

Josh,

W4ABC, N0JRK, W5BDJ and 4 others like this.
  2. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with all of the above, but want to clarify that internet access has been restored, but it was never down for folks using VPNs. I suspect the 'social media' blocks are also easy to circumvent with virtual private networks as well. It's easy to get used to tech and get complacent. That's why we should always practice our 'grid down' capability.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/14/cuba-protests-internet/
    It looks like cutting the connection cost the regime as well as the people.
    https://thehill.com/changing-americ...808-cuba-lost-more-than-13-million-during-its
    "In the case study, it shows that Cuba went offline for 32 hours, which affected 7 million users in the process."

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I must be missing the regulation that says that governments are encouraged to jam anyone they think is possibly violating these rules.

KO4ESA, KZ2J, ZL2TOY and 3 others like this.
  4. W7HU

W7HU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thank you all the help is appreciate tnx 73 de W7HU

KC1OCA, KO4ESA, K0LWC and 2 others like this.
  5. KD2RHT

KD2RHT Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't miss it, but Cuba isn't part of the ITU, so they give no cares.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill, Let's just get hypothetical for a minute.
    What would happen if your family were to be trapped in a foreign country without access to information because the current totalitarian regime has tapped all the phones and cuts your conversations midway. There is a current humanitarian crisis. The only reliable means of contact is over HF 40 meters because it is the only one still available on the island to a select group of people.
    One afternoon you start passing traffic and the frequency gets overwhelmed with signals and jams your communications. You move up and down the band and jammers keep popping up at different frequencies.
    What do you do when presented with this challenge Bill?

KD2GWD, KO4ESA, W4DRO and 3 others like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sooo, if someone else commits murder, that is permission for you to do so? ;)

8. K7JEM

I was able to decode one of the jamming streams, and it decodes "We are from the government, and we are here to help."

N8ZI, KC1OCA, KD2GWD and 7 others like this.
  9. K7JEM

??
    So if a kid steals a pack of gum from your store, you are free to shoot him?

10. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.
  11. K4KKC

KO4ESA likes this.
  12. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. The jamming transmitters are not authorized (licensed) users. You have no requirement to avoid interfering with them, per FCC regs.

2. The jammers will not bite! :) You may conduct any ordinary amateur operations in the same spectrum area.

K8PG, KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  13. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

@K4KKC I am not trying to sound mean. Just want to point out that a lot of this is narrative warfare. (Cuba wants to control the narrative .) When hams talk to the Cuban folks over the radio that is the same thing as laying down a little fire. (in a narrative war) You would have to expect some return fire. In this case that return fire came as jamming. Not saying I wouldnt be talking to Cubans as more then likely I would be. But you have to expect them to take some counter measures.

KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps an independent third party can intercede in this matter...say, oh...North Korea?

N5AF, KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  15. K4KKC

KO4ESA and K4ABX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.