ad: elecraft

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the IARU Region 2 request to keep 7150 open was reported in post 556.

I'm guessing we shouldn't expect assistance from the Cuban IARU emergency guy.

I hope some here are reporting the jamming to the IARU and ARRL...

K0UO likes this.
  2. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the conclusion that some entity in Cuba is trying to be sure Cuban hams can't communicate a relatively short distance to the USA, like Miami? So Miami stations are effectively jammed on 40 meters and they normally have a good shot into Cuba, right?
    What's wrong with 20 meters then? Oh, 20 meters is no good from Miami-Cuba. Then what's to stop said Cuban stations from talking to someone in KC, or Boston, or Seattle and getting their message through? Or the Miami ham station using a remotehams SDR station in NYS on 20 meters? Or using 80 meters at night; they aren't qrming 80 are they? I don't get it.

DM2TT likes this.
  3. KG5RKP

The answers to all of your questions are in this thread, and especially in W7HU/Alex' videos. Here's the quick summary:
    - Comms to Miami, specifically, are blocked because that's where most of the expat Cubans life
    - 40 is the band to use because of propagation, but also because most Cuban ops don't have space for longer antennas, and because more antenna can make the hams targets of the regime. Younger hams with CL calls are limited to 10 W - not going to get reliable SSB to Boston or Seattle
    - The jamming started on 11 July when the protests started. The younger folks were using social media to coordinate - and social media (and the rest of the internet) was firewalled. Then the 2 meter repeaters (except one in Havana, if I recall) were shut down. When hams started to relay messages on 40, the jammers fired up.

FMI, watch this. Alex was a Cuban ham before escaping on a boat and making his way here.

K0UO likes this.
  4. KG5RKP

(In the above post, Miami is where expats "live" not 'life'. Sorry.)

I got the latest ARRL email letter, dated 19 August. There's an item about a "burst signal from China" but nothing about losing a huge chunk of 40 from more than a month's worth of jamming from Cuba. The jamming from Cuba is documented in the IARU monitoring newsletter, however. Here's the excerpt from the ARRL, and a repeat of the link to the July IARU monitoring system newsletter:

https://www.iaru-r1.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/IARUMS-Newsletter-2021-07.pdf
    (Note that there are no reports of intrusions from the ARRL...)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  5. KG5RKP

Sorry for the error...that newsletter is from Region 1 of the IARU...one shouldn't expect anything from R2 or the ARRL there.

I've not yet located the Region 2 newsletters from the monitoring program. Does anyone know where (or if) they are? Thanks in advance.

6. KG5RKP

I found the IARU Region 2 monitoring system newsletters...sorta.

https://www.iarums-r2.org/newsletter.html

7. W7HU

W7HU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

este video muestra lo ultimo de la interferencia de cuba en 40 metros

KE0GXN and K0UO like this.
  8. W1NHD

W1NHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wanted to report possible jamming on 7.158mhz I can hear it from my location in Massachusetts. It's a s9 over, it's 9:07pm est

K0UO likes this.
  9. W7RPK

W7RPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not think you should use our Ham bands for political purposes. Now look what is happening.

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They didn't even shut down the jamming during the hurricanes/ they must be some old Soviet hardened transmitter and facilities with generators.

They can be found anywhere between 7090 and 7200

The most constant frequency and loudest here west of the Mississippi is 7158.

I haven't heard any jamming on Commercial or Marine frequencies from my QTH for almost a month, just on the 40 meter amateur frequencies, there are some harmonics coming off of those transmitters that can occasionally be heard even this far west.

I really find it hard to believe that this has been going on for over two months, with hardly any statements about from any Amateur Associations.
    Losing a huge chunk of 40 meters should be of some concern, if any of these Associations are really interested in amateur radio.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

KE0GXN, TIERONE and KG5RKP like this.
  11. TIERONE

TIERONE QRZ Member

I understand this forum is by design supposed to be "non political".... That makes sense.... I can't help but wonder how long this jamming nonsense will continue if grown men censor truth about actual problems in their chosen hobby.... and refuse to debate the actual issues in an honest light???

AC2TM likes this.
  12. TIERONE

TIERONE QRZ Member

Well now, of course people being oppressed, tortured and murdered have absolutely no right to use "our" precious ham bands when they might be caught in the middle of a real emergency where people are being purged for having a difference of opinion...... just wow.....

13. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL…
    515EFA63-A1CC-4343-AF76-486571CDCA91.gif

KG5RKP and K0UO like this.
  14. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

However some are allowed to post political topics. 60 pages later proves it. Cuba has been jamming radio for 50 years and it is all about politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.