ad: TinyPaddle-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

We're "it", brother. The hand we need is on the end of our arm. Keep those "cards and letters" flowing and make sure the folks we pay to represent us know we're watching them and so far are
    underwhelmed.

(From one of my latest reports: "What I would love to see is some indication that the ARRL and IARU are communicating with each other, and the State Department and ITU to keep pressure on Cuba until they stop interfering with our band.")

73 all y'all :)

W4DRO and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KG5RKP

Heads up, everyone - looks like the jamming is back in full force tonight - 7115 to 7135 is blotted out for a friend in N Carolina at this time, as is 7160 to 7172. It's running about S9 for him. Looks like we have about nine lines of jamming on 40 tonight.

https://imgur.com/a/HL9hbRX

(sorry...can't get rid of the failed image attachment...can't see it when I edit. Waterfall image at the imgur link.)

[​IMG]

W4DRO and (deleted member) like this.
  3. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a laughable question however, has anyone heard. Any push back from FCC, the ITU, UN,.or
    maybe. Barney Rubble, on addressing it basically 1/2 of 40 meters is unusable.

KG5RKP and (deleted member) like this.
  4. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've certainly noticed increasing jamming in the 9.xxx MHz international SWBC band in select locations as well. 'Fidelito' should get his ham license and then he could transmit legally. Convert those 15 kW jamming stations into Cuban salsa music broadcasts and ham radio club stations !

KG5RKP and (deleted member) like this.
  5. KG5RKP

Another jamming report sent to the ARRL and IARU. It was an ugly night last night. TEN S7-S9 jamming signals were noted in the 40 meter amateur band from 290100Z to 291200Z: 7105, 7115, 7120, 7125, 7130, 7157, 7161, 7165, 7170, and 7215. The signal at 7105 disrupted a number of Winlink email gateways. I was unable to make connections with the pair of stations that have been very reliable in the past. There was continuous coverage from 7113 through 7132.5

To date I have received no response from the IARU - either the Region 2 monitoring program rep or the head of the IARU. While the reports have been acknowledged by the ARRL, I've seen no signs that anyone's actually using the reporting to do anything. That I'm disappointed in the lack of response is putting it very mildly.

Any hams that want to complain about the jamming are welcome to send a quick email to the ARRL at: hq@arrl.org and w6rod@arrl.org and to the IARU Region 2 Monitoring Program at:iarums@iaru-r2.org and xe1kk@xe1kk.net

6. KG5RKP

The ARRL acknowledges my emailed jamming reports. There's a media piece (and ARRL newsletter) that say the FCC is investigating. I think the "FCC investigating" thing is useless because they only regulate the US - and we all know the jamming isn't coming from the US. But no - in spite of regular back and forth with the ARRL's Region 2 liaison, I've seen zero indication that the ARRL has done anything other than "high level meetings" within the org. I've gotten no acknowledgement from the IARU - even after responding to the chief's quote in the last ARRL newsletter (where he was quoted as saying they had not received any complaints) with the reports I'd filed that go back to the 11th.

To be fair, if only 3 of us complain, it's easy for the ARRL and IARU to just ignore us (not saying they are) until we succumb to the typical social media and/or news cycle and ADD to the next distraction (not saying we would). It's a lot harder for them to ignore many emails and constant pressure.

1 person likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Think "representative government." Then consider writing a letter to "The United States House of Representatives" and wait for the reply. If you get one, you'll probably be advised to write to your representative.

I'm no fan of bureaucratic shenanigans, but if you address them properly you're far more likely to get the response desired.

1 person likes this.
  8. WN1MB

dupe post

9. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How did I not address them properly? Also, I didn't think that this issue involved the United States House of Representatives. I might also add that on the IARU web page they provide an email address for the Secretary, Region 2. I would think that if they didn't want email communications, they wouldn't have put the email address on their web page. Also, they didn't post any exclusions as to who may or may not email them.

:D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not in the least bit true.

K0UO likes this.
  11. KG5RKP

That's fine. You'll have to take that up with the folks that actually held ham radio licenses in Cuba before coming to the US - that's where that quote came from. Those are Alex/W7HU's words, not mine.

Can you cite any sources that supports your comment? That way we can all learn something new, maybe.

12. KP4SX

I know a number of Cuban ops and I have NEVER heard of one using a homebrew rig. Its not the 50s-60s anymore! There maybe some old stragglers but that number is insignificant.

K0UO likes this.
  13. KG5RKP

Thanks for the anecdote. How's the jamming affecting you on PR?

14. KP4SX

I hear it, quite strong. But I don't normally use 40m fone.
    Just got an email from my friend in Cuba regarding the jamming...
    That´s right! It is from this side.
    They put them on frequencies where they were broadcasting radio amateurs from Miami, encouraging popular disobedience, giving information against the Government, etc ...... But the worst thing is that they have stayed, they have forgotten how those diabolical devices are turned off !!!!!! Here the radio amateurs are not very happy with that because it does not allow working in 40 meters.

15. WN1MB

You missed my point entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.