ad: CQMM-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone should send XE1KK a nice web message on his qrz page. :)

2. WB9LUR

WB9LUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent him (XE1KK) a direct but very polite email and he replied very quickly. It was also polite in tone and advised me to direct my concerns to the "member society", the ARRL, and they will let us know what complaints and evidence there is.

He did confirm that as of today they have received nothing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  3. KG5JAW

KG5JAW Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KG5JAW

KG5JAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, I was trying to get a Dx station in Oman earlier on 7.160, and heard what I assumed was electrical noise I hadn’t heard before. Now I know what it was. Hope it will stop soon. It was good to make contact with W4C. Good, clear 59 signal into Brandon, MS. Love what you’re doing for a good cause. 73 de KG5JAW

Attached Files:

KO4ESA, KG5RKP and (deleted member) like this.
  5. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys - here's the info on reporting. It's in the thread a couple of times, but keeps getting lost.

This is the page for the IARU Region 2 Monitoring System:
    https://www.iarums-r2.org/indexen.html
    This is the required info for reporting intruders:
    https://www.iarums-r2.org/report.html
    We can follow the guidelines above and send in an email, or we can use this fillable PDF, save it with data, and email that:
    https://www.iarums-r2.org/report-form.pdf

This is the list of IARU member societies.
    https://www.iaru.org/reference/member-societies/
    The IARU instructions say to send reports to the national amateur organization for our country, and if we cannot get to them, to send them to the IARU Region 2 coordinator. I have been sending them to both the ARRL and the email listed on the IARU page for Region 2. (Folks not in region 2, please send to your region 1 or 3 points of contact.)

I've sent reporting forms that cover from 12 July to 22 July. I've received feedback from Rod Stafford to keep sending reports. I guess I'll forward them to the boss at IARU as well, as it's clear he's not having coffee with the monitoring folks very often...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    KO4ESA, WN1MB and (deleted member) like this.
  6. KG5RKP

FYI...Here's an image of what I sent for the 21st, as well as a detail for the 22nd. Feel free to copy if it makes your life easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1w3nwk68x5adyd/IARUR221Jul21.jpg?dl=0
    The 'details' block has plenty of room but only shows a few words. This is what's in that box:
    The highlight for the 22nd is the voice transmissions.
    7120 KHz 1915-2025 UTC J3E Details: Male voice alone, female voice alone, male voice with music, male voice with jet aircraft in background. Two to four minute segments with approximately 30 second dead air between transmissions. It sounded like a typical Radio Havana "rant" type broadcast, but I cannot confirm as I don't speak Spanish. Received via SDR in Orlando, Florida. Not heard in San Antonio, TX. This suggests a directional broadcast.

K0UO, KO4ESA and (deleted member) like this.
  7. KG5RKP

I forwarded my emailed reports up to 22 Jul UTC to XE1KK last night as an FYI (they show they've been sent to the Region 2 monitoring POC and the ARRL). No response. (Unfortunately, this shows that messages to Region 2 monitoring don't get to the boss...)

I have been in regular communication with Rod, who is the IARU monitoring program liaison and VP for international affairs. He asks that we keep sending reports and noted that ARRL senior staff is working a response to the jamming and intrusion.

Finally, I received a note from Ms. Karpeij, KA1DTU, a member services rep, advising the reports sent to hq@arrl were being forwarded to the senior staff.

Please report the intrusions, ladies and gents - ARRL and IARU need us to push them. Our path to DC, the FCC, and ITU is through the IARU and ARRL. They want to have enough ammo to push DC, State, and the FCC but one person reporting isn't enough. They need to know we care enough about our bands to act. (Going viral on social media is not acting, though it's a good first step.) Thanks all.

KO4ESA and KD2TTM like this.
  8. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sources on the Island of Cuba have now confirmed that the Cuban Government is actively jamming VHF Marine frequencies 152-162MHz.
    Marine VHF Channel 16 is affected.

Channel 16 156.800 156.800 International Distress, Safety and Calling. Ships required to carry radio, USCG, and most coast stations maintain a listening watch on this channel.

K0UO, KO4ESA and W4DRO like this.
  9. W4DRO

W4DRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope this gets a stronger response due to the effect it will have on international safety in the Caribbean and gulf.

KO4ESA and (deleted member) like this.
  10. KO4ESA

Thank you.

KG5RKP likes this.
  11. KG5RKP

Did you report this to the ARRL, IARU, and Coast Guard?

KO4ESA likes this.
  12. KO4ESA

Thank you.

13. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If it's outside the US, the ITU handles it.

KO4ESA likes this.
  14. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand what's going on but I have a couple of questions,
    Are the Cubans on the island familiar with the digital modes like FT8 etc.?
    What about high speed CW bursts? My station isn't up and running as I have no place
    to run an antenna. (Heck, not even an electrical outlet in the roof garden).
    Still though, along with all the spy number stations and clandestine radio comms,
    I find it interesting that the Cuban government believes it can stop radio communications
    short of DF'ing every transmission on the island? Wouldn't a beam antenna negate a lot of
    the interference? Point towards Florida?

KO4ESA likes this.
  15. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Plenty of Cuban stations active on FT8 and CW. No less than before.
    I have my doubts about this interference being specifically directed towards ham radio.

KO4ESA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.