ad: ProAudio-1

Cuba DXpedition and POTA Activation with KB2FMH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, May 30, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_037_CO0RRC_QRZ.jpg
    James Gallo, KB2FMH, is no stranger to the challenges and logistics of DXpeditions having recently participated in the IOTA and POTA activation of Kiska Island in Alaska (KL7RRC). When James had the opportunity to join five other ham radio operators for a DXpedition (IOTA and POTA) to Cuba, he didn’t hesitate. In our conversation, James talks about licensing, radio gear, and operating plans as well as offering advice to the hunters who seek to put rare, or new to them, locations in their logs. Importantly, his story is also one of international cooperation within the ham radio community.

NN3RP, 2E0CIT, W1NPE and 17 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great beaches down in Cuba... err, just watch out for those little lizards! :D

KF4ZKU, W1DED and K0UO like this.
  3. WH6LU

WH6LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video and to the point !!

KQ1V and W1DED like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Isle of Pines (Southwest Cuba) looks beautiful from 12 miles off shore in a patrol plane! ;)

KB2QQM, KQ1V, W1DED and 1 other person like this.
  5. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I will watch this video when I get a break. When I was in Cuba twice 2017 2018 something like that I got to meet CO2KK Arnie Corro. He said it was strictly forbidden for US operators to operate from Cuba because I was going to bring the QRP rig. This is awesome that you were able to pull this off. I hope to return to Cuba my wife and I do medical mission work and we as a team of Americans and Cubans saw 800 patients for eyeglasses in 4 days. The people were very loving and warm to us Americans. The churches down there were amazing.

W9CQG, CO8TW, KB2QQM and 3 others like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They let us Belizens operate there a few times.
    And I have run HF airmobile when we flown in from Belize.

We took a lot of equipment that stayed also

V31KW

KF4ZKU, KQ1V and W1DED like this.
  7. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We seem to have "forgot" some items there also, to the benefit of some local ops.

KF4ZKU, W7UUU, KQ1V and 4 others like this.
  8. KB2FMH

Like you we had an acceptable reason off the list of 12 that the state department allows. The big club there got us the special call license and approval for us two US ops to be on the air.
    The people there were very accommodating.

KF4ZKU, W7UUU, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  9. KB2FMH

Sometimes you've got to say it like it is so folks will Get It!

KB2QQM, WH6LU, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  10. KB2FMH

Black Flies were the bigger problem - wherever there was food, they were there in droves.

KF4ZKU, KQ1V and W1DED like this.
  11. KI5VIG

KI5VIG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Epic! I'm glad to have logged a 15m ssb QSO with CO0RRC on 5/2. For whatever reason, I don't believe I made it into the POTA log upload, but I'm not at all upset. It happens and I've committed to keeping it fun more than "keeping score". I was ecstatic to have the QSO and ecstatic that you were there to make it happen! 73!

KQ1V, W9EBE and W1DED like this.
  12. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

JHS de ASA - You mentioned CO2KK / Arnie Corro. I used to listen regularly to his DXers Unlimited and that was the main reason I'd tune in to R. Habana Cuba , 6000 on the shortwave dial. Of course, the good Cuban Salsa music was always a plus. In the spirit of low tech rigs, I'd often use my single triode #30 regen HF receiver when listening to DXers Unlimited. Great fun, since Arnie was a well known champion of the fun (and often 'necessity') of home brew equipment, often by recycling parts from unused electronic items.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

KF4ZKU, W1DED, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  13. W0NKA

W0NKA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked James more times when he is working a special event than his own call! Thank you James, Brian, Vincent, and all the New Yorkers putting on the events throughout the year! Thanks for all the fun!
    Shane.

W1DED and KQ1V like this.
  14. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hadn't seen any advance warning of the expedition so it was quite funny to tune in to this surprising activation from Cuba and find James dissecting an enormous pileup!

W1DED, KQ1V and HB9EPC like this.
  15. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

enjoyable watch

W1DED and KQ1V like this.