Crystals Go to War (1943)

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WB0RIO, May 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

This book goes into great detail of the WW2 efforts to obtain and process crystals.

[​IMG]

3. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

That wore me out just watching it, I couldn't imagine doing that all day. I can never manage to get more than a dozen or so crystals sorted at a go, and I don't have to deal with all that mess.

No wonder they used to be so damned expensive.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they paid those ladies a LOT. Brutal combination of tedious AND super highly skilled labor. I don't think you could find an army of techs like that these days.

5. KL7AJ

The "frequency etch" by the way, is hydrofluoric acid. Notice the lady's bare hands dunking those crystals in that.

6. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fascinating. I had a friend who would cut his own crystal blanks and grind them to frequency(he was a jeweler and had the saws etc). I had several of his crystals for my HW-16 back in the 70's.

7. KL7AJ

By the way...THANKS....that was a fabulous flick. This sort of thing should be required viewing for every engineering student.

And every politician, for that matter. Most folks have no clue what it takes to actually DO anything these days.

8. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Fighting a war with rocks?

How primitive. :rolleyes:

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure beats painting watch dials.

KV4PD likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

They did. It may not seem like a lot in today's dollars but it was a lot more than they had been making in peacetime.